SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

I was just looking back at the livestream of the booster return that I linked to yesterday and they were discussing whether B1058 will be reused. I can see both sides; on one hand, it would be awesome to see that NASA worm fly again on a uncrewed resupply mission; on the other hand, once they get the capsule back, combining the booster, capsule and a dummy second stage would make for a fantastic museum exhibit. What does everyone else think?

Also: ooo, new Starship legs :D

Edited by RealKerbal3x

47 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:
  Hide contents

Unlikely. Unless Musk becomes a British citizen.

More a question is why? It could be an rescue mission but that would require that the first falcon was not at the ISS and not able to return. 
Now if the first had its upper stage it could be an moon mission as in flyby or Artemis mission. First is launched on falcon heavy who is not man rated

16 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

More a question is why?

One of the Dragon capsules could be outfitted with just enough stuff to legally make it a space station. There must be some tax loophole or other that SpaceX could take advantage of by making one of those.

1 hour ago, Codraroll said:

One of the Dragon capsules could be outfitted with just enough stuff to legally make it a space station.

All water, air and space crafts are legally the same thing - the laws of the nation they're registered to applies onboard.

19 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

floor and the ceiling are where they are ordered to be.

On the ISS there are clear sign labels saying "OVHD" (ceiling) and "DECK" (floor).

And after checking out the Google Street View tour of ISS, apparently orientation within docked spacecrafts are labeled accordingly with their planned place of attachments, in sync with the rest of the station.

Starlink launch SpaceX-hosted livestream link for later in the night (tomorrow morning for me) :

Edited by YNM

Spoiler

1 hour ago, YNM said:

On the ISS there are clear sign labels saying "OVHD" (ceiling) and "DECK" (floor).

If I saw OVHD over head I would be staring at it, trying to decode what does this caption mean, until trip over and fall on the DECK.

3 hours ago, magnemoe said:

More a question is why?

I mean the flag on both Dragons.

5 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Unlikely. Unless Musk becomes a British citizen.

The way things are going lately that might not be a bad idea. :P

6 hours ago, adm-frb said:

Wonder if SpaceX will ever do a mission like this...?

WPvP8AQ.png

<Steve Irwin voice>
An’ ‘ere we see the two Dragon Gouramis locked in a contest for dominance and the favour of the smalla female...

4 hours ago, magnemoe said:

More a question is why?

@Codraroll has a point, strip down and equip one Dragon and you’ve got a very quick, inexpensive mini-station for longer duration flights than Dragon could do on its own, maybe in a different orbit than ISS. A polar crewed flight has never been done, for example.... 

Edited by CatastrophicFailure

3 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Sadly, it's at 2am for me, and I don't consider a Starlink launch exciting enough to get up super early in the morning :(

Getting choosy now, are we?

But yeah, it's 3:25 AM for me, so I'll wait until I wake up and pretend it's live, but with fast forward and rewind capability.