SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

7 minutes ago, IncongruousGoat said:

Given that we saw the entire landing with no LOS, it's entirely possible

I had always assumed it was a sat link, not LOS. The antenna size for high bandwidth LOS at that distance would be fairly large.

Edited by ExtremeSquared

If I go outside at 4AM tonight, I can see Starlink go right over me, and Mars, and Jupiter, and Saturn, and the moonset, and the conjunction of Ganymede and Europa, and all the other stuff in the morning sky...ya know, maybe it's worth it.

37 minutes ago, ExtremeSquared said:

I had always assumed it was a sat link, not LOS. The antenna size for high bandwidth LOS at that distance would be fairly large.

On the chance you’re being serious, I think in this case LOS meant Loss of Signal. I’ve heard that initialism during Shuttle launches. (Also audible in the Rush music video “Countdown,” about the first shuttle launch. On mobile right now or I’d link it)

Nice to see that booster for a five-for-five on landings! We have a new life leader! Halfway to design life before a major refurb

Edited by StrandedonEarth

2 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

On the chance you’re being serious, I think in this case LOS meant Loss of Signal. I’ve heard that initialism during Shuttle launches. (Also audible in the Rush music video “Countdown,” about the first shuttle launch. On mobile right now or I’d link it)

Ah that makes more sense. I've only seen the acronym used for Line-of-Sight in a comms context.

I'll have to stop using that acronym. Overlapping acronyms in the same field are no good.

39 minutes ago, Brotoro said:

we finally got to see the release of the stack.

I can understand why it's called "starlings".

52 minutes ago, ExtremeSquared said:

Loss of Signal and Line-of-sight has similar initials indeed...

But yeah, I imagine they might've used certain things to their advantage this time. Kinda assume that for all those that has signal loss it was some kind of occlusion (maybe by the plume) and vibration. They might managed to make it more isolated.

9 minutes ago, tater said:

For spaceflight it's always Loss Of Signal (LOS) and Acquisition Of Signal (AOS) as far as I can ever remember seeing it.

Could be space-comms specific. In years of general radio/satcom work I've only seen Line of Sight. Regardless, it's a pretty unfortunate overlap of acronyms considering the heavy intersection of those fields.

Landing with only one leg in the circle? Sloppy. We want to see them bullseyes.

If it landed as much off center as it did but laterally, instead of longitudinally, one of the legs would have missed the barge.

I'll chalk it up to night landing, but near miss, nonetheless.

That was fantastic! I couldn't watch it live as it was at 2:25am for me, but that booster landing coverage looked great. What a debut for JRTI after its refit :D And we got the satellites deploying on live video, too! Good times all around!

Anyway, it appears that I have made it my duty to post NASASpaceflight Boca Chica videos when they're released, so here's the new one:

Edited by RealKerbal3x

12 hours ago, Geonovast said:

Amazing landing footage.  So happy to see it all the way through.

Yeah, it looked incredible. The whole sea was lit by that descending fire.

12 hours ago, Brotoro said:

Hey, we finally got to see the release of the stack. Nice.

Makes a lot of sense too. There was so much speculation about how it went together but I can see why it works so well. Multi-point compression fit with simple release.

Someone got a promotion for designing that.

10 hours ago, Geonovast said:

Anyone know if they caught the fairings?

They probably would have said so if they did?

Then again Elon is off Twitter right now, so who knows