SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

One thing that interested me in the SpaceX launch stream was the obvious awareness that Starlink sat visibility is a definite PR concern for SpaceX. There was an explicit comment about SpaceX valuing a dark night sky and trying to mitigate the impact of Starlink.

10 hours ago, tater said:

man they are getting back at it

9 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

One thing that interested me in the SpaceX launch stream was the obvious awareness that Starlink sat visibility is a definite PR concern for SpaceX. There was an explicit comment about SpaceX valuing a dark night sky and trying to mitigate the impact of Starlink.

they don't want to enrage on of their best future customers

2 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

I feel like that new bulkhead is SN7's, or maybe even an early component of SN8.

Imho the new 304L bulkhead will be for sn8, i don't think that the 100 kms hop will need the new alloy and a complete heatshield, menwhile i think that SN-8 might be the first high speed suborbital/orbital starship. In my head it should be: sn5 will do the 150meters, 2-3kms hop. Sn6 the 20kms, sn 7 the 100kms one and sn8 will try the hot reentry

14 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

I’m going to guess that it’s a re-used fairing half, so not a huge loss?

The going-forward cost is exactly as big of a loss as any other fairing, however big of a loss that is.

If a fairing is lost on the first flight or the 1000th flight, either way it still means they have to pay for a new one.

Edited by mikegarrison

42 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

The going-forward cost is exactly as big of a loss as any other fairing, however big of a loss that is.

If a fairing is lost on the first flight or the 1000th flight, either way it still means they have to pay for a new one.

There's planned amortization. You expect reusable parts to degrade beyond the point of reuse eventually. 

23 minutes ago, RCgothic said:

One a week including Starlink then!

It's summer, so the weather will be interesting... wonder if we will get to see an F9 on both pads at the same time.

1 hour ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Then they should be obligated to race. -_-

Space racing should be a thing. 

Just split a Starlink payload 30/30. Then rig each booster with a 3rd person camera view of the other! If anyone can pull this off it's SpaceX.

Edited by cubinator

What is the limitation on the eastern range? Is it technical? Logistical? Unable to close sea and airspace for significant periods?

If rockets can become truly reliable, is it even necessary to have large exclusion zones? Is overflight of shipping and sharing airspace with airliners really that big a deal?

6 minutes ago, RCgothic said:

What is the limitation on the eastern range? Is it technical? Logistical? Unable to close sea and airspace for significant periods?

If rockets can become truly reliable, is it even necessary to have large exclusion zones? Is overflight of shipping and sharing airspace with airliners really that big a deal?

Spoiler

You see Anton, when launch two rockets at same time, only need one air closure!

I think that eventually you could pretty much just merge mission control with ATC, or at least have MC converge towards something more similar to and that can interact with ATC (This is a rather extreme hypothetical where we have many, many rockets launching every day from each site). Still, though, airplanes are very different vehicles than rockets, and I imagine they'd need to stay a little further back than from other airplanes. For instance, the sound. Airplanes are loud, but rockets are so loud that they need water deluges at liftoff to dampen the reflected sound before it damages the rocket. I don't think an airplane would react well to that kind of sound. And an airplane at cruising altitude would have the rocket flying past right around Max-Q and the sound barrier. I don't know what flying through another vehicle's supersonic shockwave is like, but it might not be good. And it's not as if you can just ask the rocket to slow down.

Of course, having a rocket fly over your head once it's left most of the atmosphere is probably not too bad.

5 hours ago, cubinator said:
  Reveal hidden contents

You see Anton, when launch two rockets at same time, only need one air closure!

I think that eventually you could pretty much just merge mission control with ATC, or at least have MC converge towards something more similar to and that can interact with ATC (This is a rather extreme hypothetical where we have many, many rockets launching every day from each site). Still, though, airplanes are very different vehicles than rockets, and I imagine they'd need to stay a little further back than from other airplanes. For instance, the sound. Airplanes are loud, but rockets are so loud that they need water deluges at liftoff to dampen the reflected sound before it damages the rocket. I don't think an airplane would react well to that kind of sound. And an airplane at cruising altitude would have the rocket flying past right around Max-Q and the sound barrier. I don't know what flying through another vehicle's supersonic shockwave is like, but it might not be good. And it's not as if you can just ask the rocket to slow down.

Of course, having a rocket fly over your head once it's left most of the atmosphere is probably not too bad.

considering that the wake turbulence from a jumbo jet can create dangerous conditions about a mile back, and rockets are generaly bigger and faster than a jumbo jet I would expect that flying through a rocket's wake would not be safe for most aircraft