SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

1 hour ago, magnemoe said:

Now that looks more substantial. I assume 2-3 walls in the hexagonal structure will be open to flame diverts. 

Up the thread there are probably pics (or vid) of the circular "cages" of rebar beling lowered into holes. Those pilings/footings go down several 10s of meters.

36 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

I think those are the new fins, I don't recall seeing those bellcranks on the originals, and it looks like they have proper hinges, too. :D

Well, the video did say that they were Mk1's fins, but it may be mistaken.

As a kid who grew up watching the moon landings and shuttle flights - where rocket parts fell away and dropped into the ocean... this is amazing.  I can't express how cool it is that we now have the technology to do this.  Watching this thing go from making sonic booms to landing softly on a relatively tiny pad is pretty... damn... awesome.

https://www.space.com/spacex-falcon-9-rocket-breaks-sound-barrier-crs-18-video.html?jwsource=cl

I'm certain its already been posted - but with nearly a thousand pages to scroll through... I'll risk a repeat.

3 hours ago, sh1pman said:

Will the fuel tanking test involve both cryogenic methane and oxygen or just methane? And what about the pressure, is it going to be 1 bar or higher?

The tank pressure test is done with nitrogen who don't burn. This tend to go up to 7.5-8.5 bar for safety margins. Static fire and the upcoming jump with LOX and methane, pressure her is 6 bar but they might go a bit lower. Pressure is for two purposes, one is to push fuel and oxidizer into the turbo pumps but second is to increase the structural strength of the tanks. 
You also have that called an wet dress test, this is just fueling up but not fire the engines, good chance they does this first as they had problems with the quick release of the piping. 

2 hours ago, RCgothic said:

Is there a reason this wouldn't be easier out of Vandenberg?

Southern tragectory for an Argentine mission?  Maybe they want to watch the launch themselves? 

Other answer - because the AF opened up the opportunity? 

I'm curious about the dogleg over Cuba... What is that all about? 

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

2 hours ago, RCgothic said:

Is there a reason this wouldn't be easier out of Vandenberg?

Because SpaceX can focus their launch efforts out of Florida, without having to keep a team at (or fly a team to) VAFB

8 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Southern tragectory for an Argentine mission?  Maybe they want to watch the launch themselves? 

Other answer - because the AF opened up the opportunity? 

I'm curious about the dogleg over Cuba... What is that all about? 

They don't launch straight south, to avoid overflying populated areas of Florida in case of RUD. So they dogleg to straight south once clear of Fl.. Once over Cuba it should be S2, so not as big a deal. Plus this: https://www.overlookhorizon.com/spacex-planning-historic-saocom-1b-satellite-launch/