SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

10 minutes ago, Motokid600 said:

Is this not the capsule being loaded? Why does it look like the hatch is open?

The big opening at the bottom is the container for the parachutes, the hatch is right above that. When opened it slides up over the empty box on top, which holds the drogue chutes. :D

7 hours ago, tater said:

Abort, maybe recycle.

I was struggling to stay awake to midnight UK time last night. I gave up at 11.45 after no sign of fuelling for a midnight test, so with the test being scrubbed at approaching 1am I think I made the right call!

10 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Kinda like this?

uxQpzZn.gif

Yep, pretty much!

I would also have a lower bay door design with a small radiator acting as the door. So you have a decoupler with the radiator placed on it, and the drogues placed on that. Once the drogues stabilize the vehicle's descent, you pop the mains simultaneously with the decoupler, so that the drogues pull the door away to open up a path for the mains. 

I think venting has started at the condenser.

Edit: yup, major condenser venting on LabPadre stream now.

EditEdit: Farm Venting. Pretty sure fuelling is now in progress.

Edited by RCgothic

The LaPadre stream guys keep going on and on about the offset engine. It's not actually that crazy.

They are going to put three engines on that thrust puck eventually, but the whole point of having three engines is to have engine-out capability. It needs to be able to maneuver, hover, and land on a single engine. That's why they have the mass sim up top; they are making sure they can handle a single-engine landing near tank depletion. It is nowhere near the full prop load (if it was, it would need all three engines). No reason to risk multiple engines when you only need to test one.

16 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Huge geyser of something coming out of the flare stack. Does not appear to be nominal.

They are recondensing the CH4, apparently. perhaps the new system wastes some Nitrogen to do this?

Also, if you look at the everyday astronaut feed (camera about 180 degrees from the others) it's clear how very far away that stack is.

I should add that the cloud was blowing away from the vehicle and tank farm.

31 minutes ago, tater said:

They are recondensing the CH4, apparently. perhaps the new system wastes some Nitrogen to do this?

Also, if you look at the everyday astronaut feed (camera about 180 degrees from the others) it's clear how very far away that stack is.

I should add that the cloud was blowing away from the vehicle and tank farm.

I didn't think there was any threat to Starship; it just didn't seem nominal. But if it's a new system then that makes sense. Liquid nitrogen is much colder than liquid methane so it should be easy enough to run a condenser if you have somewhere for the warm(er) nitrogen to go. 

I have to say, I'd personally be much more comfortable in a spacecraft that didn't need any thrusters firing for reentry. We're used to seeing F9 S1 constantly using the thrusters, but still...