SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

Footage from yesterday showing SN6 being installed on the launch mount:

And everything happening today. I guess SN5 will keep Raptor SN27 for its next flight? There are no signs of it being removed (and I'm not sure how they would remove it anywhere other than the launch mount).

9 hours ago, RCgothic said:

I presume they already thought of this, but looking at that picture makes me wonder what their payload constraints for return from space are actually going to be. First of all, they are doing this wild "dive-then-flip" thing. Anything in that payload bay better be able to handle some very large loads in many shifting directions. If anything breaks loose, it would likely be instantly catastrophic. (See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Airlines_Flight_102 for an example of why.) And even if it doesn't break loose, they are going to have some very interesting loading issues and c.g. limits.

1 hour ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Hopefully SN8 will have the larger v2.0 landing legs as well.

Yes, however don't think the legs is much of an problem landing on earth outside the short travel distance they have to absorb an rough landing. 
On the moon they can use falcon 9 style legs if they want to, no reason to retract them after reaching orbit. 

Now this model does not show the raceway, pretty sure its still in as you need it for heat protection, you also need piping up for return flow, for pressurization and probably to pump extra lox up to top up the header tank. 
Liked how they piped this especially how they simply flow all trough the methane header tank. yes the valves are halfway down but they will have an extra pump to top it. 
Also how the lox manifold is fitted at the bottom of the methane down pipe. 
Predicted the LOX pipes for the vacuum engines down to the center. Not the LOX header tank piping, I expected it to be in the raceway but internal makes more sense. 

5 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

I presume they already thought of this, but looking at that picture makes me wonder what their payload constraints for return from space are actually going to be. First of all, they are doing this wild "dive-then-flip" thing. Anything in that payload bay better be able to handle some very large loads in many shifting directions. If anything breaks loose, it would likely be instantly catastrophic. (See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Airlines_Flight_102 for an example of why.) And even if it doesn't break loose, they are going to have some very interesting loading issues and c.g. limits.

Return cargo faces pretty much the same sideways stress as on the shuttle, depending a bit on flight careerist and assume starship is an bit rougher here. 
The flip don't need to be more stressful  than max-g during aerobrake, yes you can save a bit fuel doing this more suicide style but if the header tanks are full you should have plenty of margin. 

I can't believe people still think it's going to be some sort of water tower. It's gigantic. The footings and concrete supports are way beyond what is needed for a water tower. Either that or people are trolling in a way that's too subtle for me.

The central pipe is either a temporary support for the concrete forms, or a support for a blast deflector. It's not lined for water and there's no plumbing below the pad footings.

They're probably running off the "flying water tower" joke. :) Do keep in mind, though, that water towers can also be pretty large if they need to handle a lot of water.