SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

1 hour ago, Dragon01 said:

I wonder when they'll start selling Starlink in Europe. With so many sats up they should have decent coverage by now.

Since they're not in geosynchronous orbit, there's no technical reason for lack of coverage *anywhere* (except maybe the poles).

1 hour ago, Dragon01 said:

I wonder when they'll start selling Starlink in Europe. With so many sats up they should have decent coverage by now.

I'd say we have to wait for couple of years. Sat density is still very far away from what SpaceX wants. Also setting up the whole system, squashing worst of the bugs etc. is not a matter of mere months.

Apparently SN6 already did a cryo test, though I couldn't find anything through the usual channels. Here's a timelapse I found:

Seems like it was successful too, as the thrust simulator was removed today.

Edited by RealKerbal3x

3 hours ago, RCgothic said:

What's the previous record?

"Without exploding" means some of them had engine rich combustion isn't it? I wonder how many SN sacrificed to the Kraken on the test stand at this point of development

Edited by derega16

2 hours ago, tater said:

They've built 40 Raptors.

Have all of them been full rocket engines or some test objects with limited parts? If they have blown up more than 30 units so far in different experiments Raptor test engineer must be a dream job.

18 hours ago, Dragon01 said:

Won't they have to get radio transmission licences in Europe? The ground stations transmit to the satellites.

There might also be some international space treaty law about transmitting into a country from space without approval. I'm hazy on that.

There is probably a whole bunch of regulatory shenanigans involved, not to mention that they'd have to adjust their pricing on a per-country basis (nobody is going to pay German prices in Poland or Lithuania), but I'm pretty sure that they're not insurmountable, and the idea is to have this available worldwide.

31 minutes ago, manaiaK said:

Won't they have to get radio transmission licences in Europe? The ground stations transmit to the satellites.

There might also be some international space treaty law about transmitting into a country from space without approval. I'm hazy on that.

Don't think its rules about transmitting from space, yes its some agreements about frequency use and so on. 
Now the antennas need permissions in each country as they are radio transmitters. 
Now one reason they focus on US first is that its just one country and they might have to do changes to the antennas.

1 hour ago, RCgothic said:

Are these cleaned up weld lines new, or do they do this before every flight,

They check the welds, at least on "pathfinder" boosters that are going for the next milestone I think. So they clean along them to visualize them.

1 minute ago, RCgothic said:

Looking back I don't think B1051 was cleaned before its fifth flight.

Early on we saw those cleaned lines a lot for reused boosters. Maybe it's based on data they got during the previous launch that triggers a check?