SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

3 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

It's a shame that they still keep spending the shroud parachutes every flight.

As the ship is moving it might well pull the fairing of the net damaging it and the ship. They fish up the parachute afterward. 
Not sure if they are reused but the parachutes takes no damage from seawater unlike the fairings with their acoustic tiles and many systems where the separation system is the most critical 

23 hours ago, magnemoe said:

you can offset this however starting burning while horizontal will increase your horizontal velocity and you have to counter that, so you want to tilt before burn. 
Now the safe way to do this is to do it high up so you have more time to correct, yes now your landing burn uses more fuel. have extra fuel in the tanks no issue using it once its settled. Yes it an offset weight but its just good training after all.
I would move some methane up in the nose as you get the fuel for an abort system, have an secondary header tank downward as you will return stuff from space down the line. 

What I am saying is the act of changing attitude puts you off course no matter when you do it, and you will need to expend fuel to compensate. Using engines to minimize this transition time will then put you less off course. I very much doubt they will purposefully tanker more fuel for "good training". SpaceX has shown that they aim for high accuracy, not bringing enough fuel to fix being off-course. I agree they will utilize the header tank in the nose, but because that moves the CofG towards the nose enabling a faster attitude transition, not for abort purposes.

The video, 10:00.

The man, walking behind the tractor and holding the section of the near-future reusable rocket with a piece of rope with some green bags on it, looks rather futuristically...

The future was never such close before.

Upd,
Or maybe it's the CORD. The Cord.
Like the N-1 CORD.
(КОРД is actually CORD, not KORD. COntrol of the Rocket Drives)

Edited by kerbiloid

8 hours ago, Meecrob said:

What I am saying is the act of changing attitude puts you off course no matter when you do it, and you will need to expend fuel to compensate. Using engines to minimize this transition time will then put you less off course. I very much doubt they will purposefully tanker more fuel for "good training". SpaceX has shown that they aim for high accuracy, not bringing enough fuel to fix being off-course. I agree they will utilize the header tank in the nose, but because that moves the CofG towards the nose enabling a faster attitude transition, not for abort purposes.

Yes, but you can adjust for this with experience, best is to aim a bit before the landing zone and then delaying canceling out horizontal velocity until just above the LZ, it don't matter then during the landing burn you do this. 
Using the engine to rotate add horizontal velocity you then has to cancel it out, on the other hand as you tilt into landing position you drag is reduced so you will fall faster but still se no reason to start the engines before you are mostly pointed downward. 
On Mars you probably have to do this anyway because the low density. 
Also the first belly flop tests will probably be slower and also doing an longer landing burn as they are verifying the models. 

10 minutes ago, zolotiyeruki said:

What are they hoping for with SN6's 150m hop that they didn't get with the previous hop?  It seems like "same song, 2nd verse" to me.  Or is it just practice?

"Second verse, same as the first!"

Elon tweeted awhile back that the plan was to streamline and debug the launch process, so it would go smoother with less hiccups

2 hours ago, zolotiyeruki said:

What are they hoping for with SN6's 150m hop that they didn't get with the previous hop?  It seems like "same song, 2nd verse" to me.  Or is it just practice?

Practicing countdown and fueling ops, and other mission control related operations. In general, they want to figure out how not to have so many holds.

2 hours ago, zolotiyeruki said:

"How do you get to Mars Carnegie Hall?"

"Practice, practice, practice!"

They've shown that they can fly a single 150m hop. What's less clear is whether or not they can reliably perform 150m hops with their current methods and technology, and given how many test articles blew up due to pad procedure problems, this is an important thing to determine.

Edited by IncongruousGoat

3 hours ago, zolotiyeruki said:

They didn't believe their eyes that water towers can fly, and want to see this nce again to be sure it's not a trip.

14 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

"Second verse, same as the first!"

Elon tweeted awhile back that the plan was to streamline and debug the launch process, so it would go smoother with less hiccups

Makes perfect sense. As you say its training on launching, you also want more launches to see that they goes smoothly having two rockets gives even better feedback here. As you launch higher with more fuel an launch pad fail will get more destructive. 
An fully loaded superheavy+starship having an engine shutdown 50 meter up will give an kiloton level explosion.  

10 hours ago, magnemoe said:

Makes perfect sense. As you say its training on launching, you also want more launches to see that they goes smoothly having two rockets gives even better feedback here. As you launch higher with more fuel an launch pad fail will get more destructive. 
An fully loaded superheavy+starship having an engine shutdown 50 meter up will give an kiloton level explosion.  

I mean you would need a LOT of engines shutting down.