SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

9 hours ago, RCgothic said:

A better comparison would be CRS.

Indeed comparing the profile from SAOCOM-1B with CRS-20 is interesting:

First off: CRS-20 was heavier MaxQ is 5s later than for SAOCOM-1B and speed still around 100 km/h less, but for both at ~14.5 km altitude. However at MECO T+02:27 CRS-20 is only 2s behind and with 5860 km/h @ 67 km altitude compared to SAOCOM-1B MECO at T+02:25 with 5940 km/h @ 78.7 km altitude.

So steeper climb seems mostly related to land return, as the first stage should not pick up too much horizontal speed. The lighter payload then just raises the altitude.

I always thouhht that the dogleg is pretty early as the faster you go, the more dV is spent for a plane change.

6 minutes ago, RCgothic said:

I hope that's indicative of Raptor performance improvement and not a loss of payload!

Edit: 4-symmetry of legs agrees a bit better with 28 as well.

I think that until they get orbital EDL down, payload doesn't matter. Improving the booster and payload mass is great, but what they need is "good enough" so that they can start flying. Any delivery of payload at all (Starlink) offsets dev vehicle cost by whatever X F9 Starlink flights actually costs them.

*blink*

I've asked this on the NSF forums, but with this tweet about the 28 Raptors

And past renders of a 7 engine core, that leaves one engine out. But Elon said recently that they would be testing a SH with 2 engines. So my thoughts are, could SH now have 2 central engines? But I also saw that someone suggested just 8 engines without a central engine.

Edited by Spaceception

5 hours ago, RCgothic said:

I hope that's indicative of Raptor performance improvement and not a loss of payload!

Edit: 4-symmetry of legs agrees a bit better with 28 as well.

If there are 7 central engines, that leaves 21 around them, which doesn't agree very well with 4 legs.  If there are 8 central engines, then yeah, you're right.

2 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

IKR? People think the combustion chamber is the crazy part, but first you need to get the propellants to an even higher pressure for injection!

Hah! Most of engine design consists of balancing pressures in the system, so that everything comes out just right.

Hundreds of cargo flights before humans? That's gonna take a while. On the other hand, orbital next year is amazing, if they can pull it off.

Anyway, their F9 missions are almost starting to get boringly norminal. Now I'm watching the abridged versions of launch, MECO and landing, almost hoping for some drama. It's weird. Just a few years ago, landing a rocket was almost science fiction, not it's not normal if it doesn't happen. Amazing time to be alive and watch this unfold.

14 minutes ago, Shpaget said:

Now I'm watching the abridged versions of launch, MECO and landing, almost hoping for some drama.

shhhhh_keep_it_down_walking_dead.gif

Don’t jinx it! If anything goes blorp now we know who to blame. :huh:

Speaking of things going blorp, SN7.1 is on the road closure books to begin (potentially) destructive failure starting September 6th. :D

13 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:
15 hours ago, RCgothic said:

1100bar! Wow!

IKR? People think the combustion chamber is the crazy part, but first you need to get the propellants to an even higher pressure for injection!

In a FFSC engine, yes. For a GG cycle, I believe the highest pressure is usually in the chamber (or at least in the chamber inlet); the GG pressure drop is used to mechanically drive the turbine that pushes the propellants into the chamber. The FFSC engine uses the pressure drop from the preburner into the chamber to drive the propellants into the preburners!

22 minutes ago, tater said:

Dear god in heaven

30 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Dear god in heaven

The best thing about this whole situation is that they are just building the %$#@ thing.

For my entire life being interested in spaceflight, stuff like this has been "artist conceptions" and "paper rockets," then "powerpoint" and renders. It's like the ULA/Bigelow video about B330 around the moon. Cool render, bros, but that ending—"for only X billion tax $ we can start making this a reality!" (paraphrase)

Edited by tater