SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

A "fairing" is any non-structural surface that exists to change the aerodynamic or hydrodynamic shape of an aircraft or boat. It's a fairing because it "fairs" the lines of the plane and also the streamlines of the fluid. We say the wing is "faired into the fuselage". Typically wings, winged keels, rudders, etc. would not be considered "fairings" because they intentionally create aerodynamic forces. Fairings are intended to reduce drag and/or protect what is under them, not make lift.

For instance:

47318757_401.jpg

The bulge where the wing attaches to the fuselage is called a wing-to-body fairing. It prevents vortices from forming there and creating "interference drag". The long grey shapes on the bottom of the wing are also fairings. These are "flap track fairings", and as you might imagine they protect the flap extension mechanisms. (They also serve a dual purpose as anti-shock bodies, but mainly they are there so the flaps can be extended.) The nose of the airplane is a fairing called a radome, that covers a radar antenna. Etc.

So a rocket payload fairing is just a fairing. It's a non-structural shell that fairs the lines around the top of the rocket and protects the payload. I suppose, however, that if they are used to a payload fairing as being the only kind of "fairing" they ever talk about, they might be tempted to come up with some other words to describe different fairings. Like maybe "aerocover", I guess.

Edited by mikegarrison

1 hour ago, tater said:

EhuqIpFWkAAVAV7?format=jpg&name=large

That's pretty cool, two active Starship prototypes sitting right next to each other.

Anyone want to take a guess on how many flight-proven SLS prototypes there are? :sticktongue:

12 minutes ago, tater said:

That's going to be fantastic to see. The bellyflop maneuver will look insane.

Also, SN7.1 already did a cryo proof test, and now it's been lifted onto the stand for pressure tests with the thrust simulator...

Edited by RealKerbal3x

I think that the SN 10 and 11 might be superheavy. Because that's weird to have 3 different starships in rapid production, or I am just not ready to have 6 starships in one place!

13 minutes ago, tater said:

No idea, not much to do with them, really, though they could I suppose try new leg designs out with them.

Is there anything stopping them from turning SN5 and 6 into proper Starships with fins, nose cones and many engines? They can fly, so why not?

17 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

Is there anything stopping them from turning SN5 and 6 into proper Starships with fins, nose cones and many engines? They can fly, so why not?

Dunno if the propellant supply lines (downcomer, etc) are plumbed for multiple engines. Maybe.

3 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Can someone refresh me on sn9 and sn10? I know that sn7 is a test tank, sn8 is neat done, and we have seen a few parts for sn11, but i have forgotten what stage 9 and 10 were at.

I'm looking forward to when these things have names, instead of numbers.

18 minutes ago, Nothalogh said:

I'm looking forward to when these things have names, instead of numbers.

As long as they don't give names like Enterprise or Endeavour. These flying grain silos are cool, but they aren't warships, or even ships at all. :lol:

25 minutes ago, Nothalogh said:

We already know Elon is a man of taste,, they will be named from the Culture series

He said one would be Heart of Gold. Think they will wait until they have more flight experience for some of that. As long as they are in potentially destructive iteration, SN# is fine.

46 minutes ago, SOXBLOX said:

As long as they don't give names like Enterprise or Endeavour. These flying grain silos are cool, but they aren't warships, or even ships at all. :lol:

Yeah, orbital ships can get names, and even then, better not to name them til they are able to be reused.

New fins:

Ehvgh9nWAAYbXAd?format=jpg&name=large

Those are the bottom ones.

2 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

I think that the SN 10 and 11 might be superheavy. Because that's weird to have 3 different starships in rapid production, or I am just not ready to have 6 starships in one place!

I say its very unlikely, SH will have an very different trust structure because all the engines. 
Thicker skin and I assume internal ribbing so it can hold up an starship wile not pressurized. 

8 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

I say its very unlikely, SH will have an very different trust structure because all the engines. 
Thicker skin and I assume internal ribbing so it can hold up an starship wile not pressurized. 

Good point.