SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

(Guy in a SpaceX hat holding a "Moon" sign at the end of MrBeast's most recent video, he also popped his head into the frame in front of the sign and said "I wonder what that means")

Could be really small, could be really big. On the small end it could be any number of things, but on the big end it could be him going on a circumlunar flyby like DearMoon. Even at the low end, it is at least mildly relevant to SpaceX so I'll put it here.

I don't mean to baselessly speculate on the "big" end of the possibilities this suggests, but *baselessly speculates*

Spoiler

While I will acknowledge that it is very unlikely, it is within the realm of possibility that MrBeast could afford it, and also not out of line with the kind of stuff he has done before. It does, however, require a Starship launch ending up costing less than a Falcon 9 launch (used 40m/flight for my estimate) unless he manages to get a huge sponsorship deal.

I find it highly unlikely that he was invited on DearMoon, as he isn't an artist in the traditional sense, although if you count YouTubers as artists he's a decent choice by many metrics.

If he is, however, considering buying a seat/seats on a circumlunar mission, For my cost calculations, "2m/flight, 100 passengers, no refueling to get to the moon" is definitely too optimistic, especially for early missions, so I'll use "40m/flight, 20 passengers, 2 refuelings necessary to get onto a free return trajectory" which ends up at 6 million per passenger.

He can definitely afford that price tag. If you haven't heard about MrBeast, he has successfully ran a YouTube channel/brand based primarily on getting sponsors to give him ridiculous amounts of money, which he then spends on one of three things:

1. Stunts for entertainment (eating world's most expensive pizza, setting off the world's most expensive firework, filling a friend's house with Legos, and destroying a friend's car and surprising him with a new one just to name a few)

2. Entertaining giveaways and contests (last to take hand of of boat keeps the boat, a contest for giving away a private island, various challenges leading up to a 1 million dollar prize, ordering pizza and tipping the house, and giving 40 cars to his 40 millionths subscriber on the condition that he gives them all away, just to name a few) 

3. Philanthropy, helping those in need, etc. done in an entertaining way (buying everything in a store and giving it to a food bank, opening a free bank, opening a free car dealership, planting 20 million trees, and giving a homeless man a house, just to name a few). His ultimate stated goal is to open a network of homeless shelters and food banks, and to die having given away all the money he can.

Also other lower cost random videos like running a marathon in ridiculously oversized shoes and stuff like that.

One estimate puts his net worth at 18 million dollars. I find that believable enough considering that he has, on several occasions, given away prizes at or close to 1 million dollars in value (last to take hand off of 1 million dollars keeps it, giving away a $700,000 private island, giving a million dollars worth of food to people in need, spending a million dollars on lottery tickets, setting off a $600,000 firework, etc).

Flying to the moon as a stunt, or potentially giving away a trip around the moon (!) would definitely fit his style, and at 6 million a head, would fall within the realm of possibility for him, although the sheer scale of something like this is unprecedented. He did say, however, that this would be the biggest thing he'd ever do in his career.

If Starship turns out to be successful, he can definitely afford it. However this can't possibly happen before 2023 at the very earliest, so I'm puzzled as to why he would tease it now if it is truly a circumlunar journey.

EDIT: Worth mentioning that he has dealt at least a small amount with Elon before. Elon donated a million dollars to TeamTrees.

Edited by Ultimate Steve

9 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

(Guy in a SpaceX hat holding a "Moon" sign at the end of MrBeast's most recent video, he also popped his head into the frame in front of the sign and said "I wonder what that means")

For the record, that Devil's Toothpaste explosion video is also quite cool and worth checking out. It's by Mark Rober, probably the world's most famous case of a NASA engineer dreaming of becoming a high school physics teacher. He has a channel where he does cool and sciency stuff like that. In this video, he invented a more potent form of elephant toothpaste pretty much by accident, and uses it to throw one heck of a birthday party for a kid who survived cancer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHiWygziyso

2 Raptors (no idea of their serial numbers) got delivered to the launch site for mounting on SN8! Wind back to 8:38 local time to watch them go by.

Edit: I found a close-up. Looks like one of the Raptors is SN39, but I can't tell what the other one is.

Ulgx2o6.png

Edited by RealKerbal3x

1 hour ago, Jaff said:

39 engines already!!! 

Space X really pumping out those raptors by now.

I'm fairly certain that they're close to or past 50. They're getting through many engines every month or so, and SN40 was talked about being tested back in August