SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

Surprised no one has brought this up. This gives SpaceX more than $50 million to develop in-orbit refueling.

And (cross posting in a sec), if you look at NASA's release, ULA is also going to be demonstrating in-orbit refueling for the Centaur stage. ACES is effectively back!!

Edited by Spaceception

57 minutes ago, tater said:

New road closures, 14th, 15th, and 16th.

Static fire attempt TONIGHT.

Woah, I didn't see this coming! Let's hope things go well...

11 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

Surprised no one has brought this up. This gives SpaceX more than $50 million to develop in-orbit refueling.

And (cross posting in a sec), if you look at NASA's release, ULA is also going to be demonstrating in-orbit refueling for the Centaur stage. ACES is effectively back!!

I love how NASA has been actually taking Starship seriously recently. This is awesome :D

On the topic of P2P Starship delivering rapid cargo, what if they stuck the cargo in its own re-entry vehicle, and lofted it on a ballistic trajectory with SS? Then SS releases the cargo, and (now unladen) burns to put itself onto a one-around orbit. The cargo reenters to its destination, and SS lands back where it started.

11 hours ago, insert_name said:

https://spacenews.com/spacex-to-explore-ways-to-provide-weather-data-to-u-s-military/

Hmm now it looks like there are plans for starlink based weather sats

Why not provide 24\7 live weather data to everyone? With 40+ thousands of satellites in orbit the entire world could be their customer :)

3 hours ago, Scotius said:

...live weather data...

Unless you're a meteorologist, that wouldn't be useful. You need the facilities, computers, models, and staff to actually use the data. SpaceX probably doesn't want to invest in that, and it wouldn't make much profit, when the government is giving away the same or better services "for free".

8 hours ago, SOXBLOX said:

Unless you're a meteorologist, that wouldn't be useful. You need the facilities, computers, models, and staff to actually use the data. SpaceX probably doesn't want to invest in that, and it wouldn't make much profit, when the government is giving away the same or better services "for free".

Well, I'm not talking about making long term predictions. More like popping to the site to check if there is rain incoming. Or a thunderstorm. I'm checking our local weather radar before going for a walk in the forest, or starting substantial work in the backyard. Many times it proved to be very useful :)

11 hours ago, SOXBLOX said:

I would not be surprised if SpaceX has some meteorologists on staff. Our Flight Test group has our own meteorologists.

4 hours ago, Scotius said:

local weather radar

Yeah. But those big Doppler radars live here on Earth, not in LEO. I don't think this is really SpaceX's shtick.

Anyone know anything about how they'll subdivide the spaces in manned Starship? Also, are they still planning on using the "chomper" fairing for the cargo version? Or do we even know anything about this stuff?