SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

41 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

5, thrust puck failure at restart, seems like the most likely failure mode to me because there’s really no way to test for it without a full-up launch. Transverse loading during gimbal is going to put some unique stresses on the thrust puck and the entire airframe. 

You can test it with the hydraulic test bumpers on the test stand, you obviously want some margins here anyway. For this you want to pressurize the tanks with nitrogen gas, making an pretty boring test to fail. 
As said I'm a bit surprised they don't test more, but testing take up construction time too. 

3 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

I hope this isn't a trend brought on by complacency.

Hopefully not, I doubt anyone here wants SpaceX to turn into Boeing 2.0.

Some people on the NSF forum have noted that they seem to consistently have more issues with new boosters vs flight-proven ones. If true, it goes a long way to prove rocket reusability as a solid concept.

All three affected cores - Crew-1 (1061.1), GPS-III (1062.2), and Sentinel (1063.1) are new boosters with new Merlin's.

It could be there's a slight susceptibility in the latest batch of engines that the static fire program has uncovered.

This is why we test.

4 hours ago, magnemoe said:

You can test it with the hydraulic test bumpers on the test stand, you obviously want some margins here anyway. For this you want to pressurize the tanks with nitrogen gas, making an pretty boring test to fail. 

I doubt that you could have enough actuators to fully simulate the kick-flip gimbal maneuver. You've got the engines pushing against their gimbal mounts at full gimbal, the gimbal mounts torquing the thrust puck, the thrust puck transferring transverse forces to the skirt, and the entire aerodynamic load on the vehicle at the same time.

11 minutes ago, cubinator said:

What kind of paint is that? They didn't say anything about needing paint before. Just an aesthetic?

It's a nose that will never be used. They are setting up SN5 as a lunar starship mockup for the Starship update event I assume. Probably house paint, they were putting it on with rollers.

EW3eLciU4AEKnFN.jpeg

1 minute ago, RealKerbal3x said:

NASASpaceflight stream says it's scrubbed :(

I had to laugh that the Everyday Astronaut stream had a sad face next to the scrub

6 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Is that a COPV on the outside of the nosecone?

No, I think it's a hook for lifting with a crane.

Also, a Raptor has been removed from SN8 for some reason (sorry for small image, I screenshotted it from the LabPadre stream)

yu9HfwG.png