SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

18 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

I'm sorry - but Elon Musk's job is pretty damn cool.  Almost as cool as what I used to do.

Almost.

What was your previous job?
As he is now the second richest in the world and play KSP in real life. 

1 hour ago, RCgothic said:

Possibly a working cargo bay?

He did say mid-teens for orbital flight. And if you're going orbital you might as well be putting up real payloads, even if they're just Starlinks.

For an cargo bay they just need an door, yes this is an structural weakness so they have to design around it. I guess they wait until after the first orbital runs and they start optimizing the design. 
Now I dislike the whale moth door, yes its looks cool but is an pain then you want to add payload and it limit you to forward deployment and even this require tilting the payload. 
No you can not mount this on the door, you want it fixed to the upper bulkhead as the door don't have much strength. 

https://www.krgv.com/news/spacex-planned-9-mile-launch-self-destruct-zone-over-gulf

(shamelessly ganked from NSF)

Some interesting details above, mostly confirming what’s been speculated. Yes, the 50 kilofoot flight will indeed head out over the water, and has an FTS system in case things go sideways. Well, more sideways than they’re supposed to. SpaceX was seriously considering launch as early as the 3rd of this month before... stuff happened. 

28 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

https://www.krgv.com/news/spacex-planned-9-mile-launch-self-destruct-zone-over-gulf

(shamelessly ganked from NSF)

Some interesting details above, mostly confirming what’s been speculated. Yes, the 50 kilofoot flight will indeed head out over the water, and has an FTS system in case things go sideways. Well, more sideways than they’re supposed to. SpaceX was seriously considering launch as early as the 3rd of this month before... stuff happened. 

I was expecting them to do an small jump first. 
On the other hand they don't learn anything new doing so and say the touchdown fail they lost the ship for no purpose while if touchdown fail after an successful belly flop they learned a lot.