SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

2 hours ago, cubinator said:

I think they're done fiddling with the rocket on the pad, so once they park the cherry pickers they should be good to clear the area. Looks like some people are already leaving.

Who's mentally prepared for a last-second abort? :D 

Dude.

3 hours ago, cubinator said:

I think they're done fiddling with the rocket on the pad, so once they park the cherry pickers they should be good to clear the area. Looks like some people are already leaving.

Who's mentally prepared for a last-second abort? :D 

3 hours before it happened... 

who are you and how can you predict the future?

So... You didn't go to space today ?

Thank lord I didn't sitted this one out... Should've been like Long March 5 where most people thought it was an abort but then suddenly 2 hrs later it launched XD

Due to a Raptor engine auto-abort at T-1 second, the SpaceX team is standing down from Tuesday's attempt of a high-altitude suborbital flight test of Starship serial number 8 (SN8) from our site in Cameron County, Texas. We have additional test opportunities available on Wednesday, December 9 and Thursday, December 10. The schedule is dynamic and likely to change, as is the case with all development testing. Stay tuned for more information on the next target test date and time.

15 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

The SpaceX stream yesterday said 'Raptor abort'. So it was something wrong with the engines, evidently.

Based on my experience with experimental rocket engines, I bet it was something to do with timing within the engines.

Sheriff arriving for road closure apparently. Crews working on the FTS stuff, and maybe under the skirt, too. Chat said that they were underneath during the night, too. SO presumably tweaking something.

I honestly wonder about Raptor reliability at this early stage. Loads of aborts... on an engine that MUST restart. Hopefully sensor issues or something.

37 minutes ago, tater said:

A revision that is not a cancellation implies an attempt.

I think this tweet is wrong.

https://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_0_1976.html

Looks like issued today, but for tomorrow.

Beginning Date and Time : December 10, 2020 at 1400 UTC
Ending Date and Time : December 10, 2020 at 2330 UTC
Reason for NOTAM : TO PROVIDE A SAFE ENVIRONMENT FOR ROCKET LAUNCH AND RECOVERY PURSUANT TO 14 CFR SECTION 91