SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

2 minutes ago, zolotiyeruki said:

A few seconds before ...er....touchdown, lots of green flames from the engine on the left.   I seem to remember that being associated with lots of copper combusting that shouldn't be combusting...

Could have been that one engine failed and that was the thrust that they needed to land.

1 minute ago, Brotoro said:

Watching replay. They had two engines firing on the landing. Did it crash because they needed all three?

One of the two that lit for landing looks like it cut out after the flip.  Also the green flame is probably a concern.

I look forward to Scott Manley's video on it.

2 minutes ago, ExtremeSquared said:

I am wildly impressed that the totally insane aerodynamic bellyflop and flip plan resulted in an upright, center-of-pad, and non-terminal-velocity landing. Wildly impressed.

Ridiculously, wildly impressed. Everything worked.

3 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

I'm rewatching - why is Senate's burn so clean?  I'm used to a smoke /contrail column under a Rocket 

Methalox produces just water and CO2, nothing else. The only thing cleaner is hydrolox, which produces only water.

3 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:
4 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

[quoting @zolotiyeruki] A few seconds before ...er....touchdown, lots of green flames from the engine on the left.   I seem to remember that being associated with lots of copper combusting that shouldn't be combusting...

Could have been that one engine failed and that was the thrust that they needed to land.

Yes, after rewatching a few times that's my best guess as well. It can do a two-engine landing burn but I'm guessing they timed it for a three-engine landing burn. 

1 minute ago, sevenperforce said:

Merlin uses TEA-TEB but Raptor does not -- it uses electric gas-gas torch igniters. 

Good catch. Yes it looks like an engine out and the engine was required.

An almost totally successful test otherwise!

I love how the two onboard camera views freeze upon "landing", then the main feed takes over the entire screen as if someone at video control wanted to say "umm ... let's focus on the one camera that's still intact".

It's also interesting to watch the pad afterwards and see what the exhaust did to the ground next to the concrete. Like a high-pressure washer on soft soil, it dug a trench in literally a second. Wonder if the pad was just a little bit too small to avoid that, or if they would have hit the pad dead on if all three engines were working.

But yeah, overall, this has to be some of the craziest, most bonkers stuff (in a positive sense) a private company has ever pulled off.

The weird thing was that the engine that did not light - was the last one that was on during the flight (presuming the camera angle was correct).  Oddly, the first one that shut down and caused the fire relit... but the last Raptor standing gave up the ghost at the end.

Also -- thanks for the answers about the green flame before I could ask!

Liftoff?  Check!

Controlled ascent?  Check!

Transition to skydive?  Check!

Stable and controlled skydive.  Check!

Restart engines (I presume from header tanks).  Check!

Kick around maneuver?  CHECK!! (And I was out of my seat screaming)

Targeted landing pad?  CHECK!!

Landed nose up?  CHECK!!

Successful landing?   Needs improvement. 

That was one of the coolest things ive seen in my whole life. Beginning with the liftoff, those blue flames are beautiful. I cant imagine how Superheavy will look like with way more engines, especialy at night.

Extremly impressive they got the bellyflip right on the first try, its one of the most extreme maneuvers in the history of flight. Also its funny the engine that shut down first on the way up (which looked to violent) made it down to the ground, while engine 42 that went all the way up never reignited (propably on purpose).

Rewatching for the fourth time at 25% speed.

Raptor SN42 is never ignited; just the other two. They provide the entire kick-flip torque.

At T+6:32, a few green flashes appear on the left-hand Raptor relative to SN42.

By T+6:37, the exhaust from the left-hand Raptor is bright green:

SN8.png

It appears to correct a moment later and becomes the familiar pink-purple again:

SN8.png

One second later the green has returned and it's almost violent in its hue:

SN8.png

The green disappears, and the other engine, on the right, is shut down, apparently because they were planning on a 2-1 landing burn:

SN8.png

The green comes back, this time to stay, and becomes so bright that it fills up the entire skirt section. The length of the plume is noticeably shortened as copper residue fills the exhaust, which in turn is saturated with soot:

SN8.png

So it looks like they planned a 2-1 landing burn, but the engine they chose to land with had an anomaly on restart that led to it eating itself from the inside out over a period of about 4 seconds.

EDIT: I hadn't seen Elon's tweet when I posted this, yet. But that green flame and sooty exhaust is clearly off-nominal. If the fuel tank header pressure was low, then could that have caused insufficient flow in the preburners, resulting in an oxygen-rich burn-through?

Edited by sevenperforce