SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

7 hours ago, Clamp-o-Tron said:

I think just "regolith" is good enough, if dirt is good enough for us. I haven't heard anyone call it earth in a long time.

Maybe in English. In Poland we still use the same word for Earth and soil - "Ziemia" or "ziemia". Only capital letter differentiates the two.

1 minute ago, Scotius said:

Maybe in English. In Poland we still use the same word for Earth and soil - "Ziemia" or "ziemia". Only capital letter differentiates the two.

Regolith and soil are not synonyms in English either.

"Regolith" is all inorganic material: rocks, sand, maybe with some water or ice or salts mixed in. "Soil" is regolith with organic material: worms, their "castings", bacteria, nematodes, etc., etc.

As for whether people in America often use the word "earth", it tends to be used technically. An  earthen dam for instance. Or an "earthmover":

2019-04-09-earthmover-tires-header.jpg

3 minutes ago, tater said:

Too bad it is so tiny. Could not find a link to one large enough to read.

If you enlarge the image in twitter, and then open the image in a new tab it should be just about readable if you zoom in.

Edited by RealKerbal3x

2 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

If you enlarge the image in twitter, and then open the image in a new tab it should be just about readable if you zoom in.

Yeah, I copied the image location and removed the name=small bit, still too small, IMO.

Eps0SrRXcAAf3N2?format=jpg

Ah, here we go:

Eps0SrRXcAAf3N2?format=jpg&name=4096x409

5 hours ago, RCgothic said:

Pretty cool

Wow.

With the exception of the Crew Dragon IFAT, SpaceX hasn't expended a single booster since AMOS-17. And of the 29 launches they've done since then, only 6 were new boosters. That means 79% of their launches have used flight-proven boosters. 

On 12/19/2020 at 6:37 PM, Clamp-o-Tron said:

I think just "regolith" is good enough, if dirt is good enough for us. I haven't heard anyone call it earth in a long time.

Nah - when your colonist kid comes in from playing, your wife will complain she's got mars all over her face and hands.  She'll have to wash up before dinner

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

47 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Nah - when your colonist kid comes in from playing, your wife will complain he's got mars all over her face and hands.  She'll have to wash up before dinner

I sure hope the stuff is less toxic by then...