SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

On 12/26/2020 at 8:04 AM, Flying dutchman said:

i tried my best to photoshop starship on the dam in amsterdam...

nice photoshop skills, it's such a beast isn't it!

9 hours ago, Trolligi said:

unknown.png?width=614&height=406

Blue Origin and SpaceX in a nutshell

Um, I'll just point out that Blue Origin actually landed (and then reused) New Shepard before SpaceX did either with a Falcon rocket.

Obviously the two companies have very different philosophies (and even different goals), so it's hard to directly compare them. SpaceX is aimed at Mars and funds itself by being a satellite launch provider. Blue Origin is (from what I have read) more oriented toward orbital habitats and funds itself (in part) by selling rocket engines.

28 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

Um, I'll just point out that Blue Origin actually landed (and then reused) New Shepard before SpaceX did either with a Falcon rocket.

Obviously the two companies have very different philosophies (and even different goals), so it's hard to directly compare them. SpaceX is aimed at Mars and funds itself by being a satellite launch provider. Blue Origin is (from what I have read) more oriented toward orbital habitats and funds itself (in part) by selling rocket engines.

eeehhhh yes, but actually no

Blue origin's New Shepard goes up to 1 km/s,  meanwhile a falcon 9 can go up to 3 kms/s meanwhile carrying a second stage with a paiload. A single landing lag of  a falcon 9 is higher than the entirety of New Shepard. Falcon 9 encounter way higher reentry heating

4 minutes ago, Flavio hc16 said:

eeehhhh yes, but actually no

Blue origin's New Shepard goes up to 1 km/s,  meanwhile a falcon 9 can go up to 3 kms/s meanwhile carrying a second stage with a paiload. A single landing lag of  a falcon 9 is higher than the entirety of New Shepard. Falcon 9 encounter way higher reentry heating

And yet, what I said is still correct.

2 minutes ago, Flying dutchman said:

So the question is: what matters most? Being the first to land a rocket booster of being the first to land An orbital class rocket booster?

IMO the correct answer is "neither".

Where I give SpaceX most of the credit is not who did what experimental stuff first, but in moving to TRL9 soonest -- actually moving to an in-service routine use of reused Falcon 9 boosters.

1 hour ago, Elthy said:

Didnt the DC-X do a powered landing in 1996, way before both companies?

Wasn’t the DC-Y (proposed production SSTO version of the DC-X) supposed to do the bellyflop/flip before Starship?

6 minutes ago, Flying dutchman said:

didn't the lunar module do a powered landing all the way back in 1969, way before all of those?

Wasn’t Luna 9 first?

1 minute ago, Flying dutchman said:

i wouldn't count that as a powered landing, since they used airbags.

https://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nmc/spacecraft/display.action?id=1966-006A

Spoiler

“At an altitude of 8300 km the spacecraft was oriented for retro-rocket firing and its spin was stopped. At 75 km altitude, 48 seconds before landing at a velocity of 2.6 km/s, the radar altimeter sent commands to jettison the side modules, inflate the airbags, and begin retrorocket firing. At 250 meters from the surface the main retrorocket was turned off and the four outrigger engines were used to slow the craft. At a height of about 5 meters a contact sensor touched the ground, the engines were shut down, and the landing capsule was ejected, impacting the surface at 22 km/hr, bouncing several times and coming to rest in Oceanus Procellarum (Ocean of Storms) west of Reiner and Marius craters at approximately 7.08 N, 64.37 W on February 3, 1966 at 18:45:30 UT (21:45:30 Moscow time).”

5 hours ago, Elthy said:

Didnt the DC-X do a powered landing in 1996, way before both companies?

It didn't cross the Karman line, though. Didn't get anywhere close.

4 hours ago, CastleKSide said:

I really think Blue Origin and SpaceX are not in the same catagory. At least so far.

Blue Origin has test-fired a bigger engine.

SpaceX has flown a bigger engine.