SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

So - the two oil platforms - I was under the initial impression that SpaceX planned to use them for landing rockets, and then I read they plan to drill for natural gas. 

Which is it? 

And if they plan to use them for landing - are they limited to the Gulf waters or can they go somewhere else? 

Just now, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

So - the two oil platforms - I was under the initial impression that SpaceX planned to use them for landing rockets, and then I read they plan to drill for natural gas. 

They'll use the oil platforms for launching and landing Starship-Superheavy, and drill for natural gas onshore at their Boca Chica launch facility.

It looked like there was a LOT of vibration on fairing sep. It also looked like the "eye of sauron" entry burn started at a higher altitude and lasted longer than it usually does.

(checks other missions)

Oh, wow, yes. There's no Stage 1 telemetry to get altitude, but you can still measure the duration of the burn. In the Transporter-1 mission, the first stage entry burn went from T+7:49 to T+8:19, a total of 30 seconds. In contrast, the 1/20/21 Starlink mission had an entry burn that went from T+6:24 to T+6:44, just 20 seconds. The 1/7/21 Turksat 5A mission had an entry burn that went from T+6:21 to T+6:44, just 23 seconds. Definitely much longer than expected.

It looks like it's higher-altitude because the initial startup plume is transparent, suggesting significant expansion. That might just be the result of different atmospheric effects, but I doubt it. In the Transporter-1 mission MECO took place at 81.6 km while it took place at 64.1 km for the last Starlink mission and 63.7 km for the Turksat 5A mission. This must have been a significantly more lofted trajectory. I suppose the (unfueled) Sherpa FX third stage is rather heavy?

1 hour ago, sevenperforce said:

looks like it's higher-altitude because the initial startup plume is transparent, suggesting significant expansion. That might just be the result of different atmospheric effects, but I doubt it. In the Transporter-1 mission MECO took place at 81.6 km while it took place at 64.1 km for the last Starlink mission and 63.7 km for the Turksat 5A mission. This must have been a significantly more lofted trajectory. I suppose the (unfueled) Sherpa FX third stage is rather heavy?

Maybe something to do with the polar launch dogleg? What’re the numbers from that first polar flight a few months back?

4 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

They'll use the oil platforms for launching and landing Starship-Superheavy, and drill for natural gas onshore at their Boca Chica launch facility.

Yes it was an gas well that the Boca Chica location but it was closed down. I guess they thing they can get enough for their use from it if re-drilled. 
This way they don't have to truck in all the methane even if the well don't produce enough to be economical for gas producers. 

Now they will get butane and propane, but less of this and they can sell it or pump it down again for pressure. 

Now the oil platforms are floating ones. Easy to move but harder to link together and yes they will need multiple.  
maxresdefault.jpg
Starship is as high as tower, now add superheavy. 
And you will obvious need methane and oxygen tanks as large as both to fill them. 

Edited by magnemoe

1 hour ago, CatastrophicFailure said:
3 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

It looks like it's higher-altitude because the initial startup plume is transparent, suggesting significant expansion. That might just be the result of different atmospheric effects, but I doubt it. In the Transporter-1 mission MECO took place at 81.6 km while it took place at 64.1 km for the last Starlink mission and 63.7 km for the Turksat 5A mission. This must have been a significantly more lofted trajectory. I suppose the (unfueled) Sherpa FX third stage is rather heavy?

Maybe something to do with the polar launch dogleg? What’re the numbers from that first polar flight a few months back?

SAOCOM-1B launch wasn't quite as high, although it landed back on KSC (LZ-1) and it was lighter. Maybe it was partly due to the dogleg, plus you can't put the drone ship in Cuba or something I suppose.

A visualization of a ~90 degrees polar launch ground track :

32 minutes ago, RCgothic said:

The southern dogleg is probably for RTLS missions.

The trajectory showed a southern launch.

unknown.png?width=878&height=494

Also, you can see the Bahamas in shot of the returning 1st stage.

unknown.png?width=878&height=494

This was a polar launch. Guess the trajectory was a bit steep since you can't place the ship in Cuban waters. Dogleg is necessary since you don't want to fly over West Palm Beach and Miami.

5 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

If they had to follow that profile - could SpaceX recover the lifter? 

They did, on SAOCOM by returning to LZ-1, and on this mission by landing on the drone ship placed close to The Bahamas.

Edited by YNM