SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

5 hours ago, Delta dart said:

Probably if the weather changes

In west Texas(where I am) the winds were gusting to 35MPH.  NWS says 5 - 10MPH winds until thursday. Looks good for tomorrow.

edit: Boca Chica, according to NWS, will have 6MPH winds and cloudy tomorrow and 34MPH Wednesday.  Will cloudy conditions matter for SN9?

Edited by AngrybobH

9 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Is this official?

As much as it feels like you really, really want an engine in the middle, putting them in a ring farther apart like this gives much better roll authority.

Not an official render, but it's going off what the BN1 aft dome spotted yesterday looked like:

EsmFxi0XYAETm51?format=jpg&name=large

There appears to be space for 8 Raptors (though on this particular dome only 4 are plumbed in). I have a feeling the engines might be slightly closer together than depicted in that render, though.

Edit: Also:

Edited by RealKerbal3x

3 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

I wonder how the plumbing will look for the 20 Raptor ring on the outside, and if they'll have to redesign for it. Also, is there just plumbing for up to 4 Raptors, or do they plan to have 4 Raptors instead of 2 for the first B1 flight?

There is at least provision for 4 Raptors. Maybe plans have changed, or they intend to do more BN1 hops with more than 2 engines.

2 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Everyone's experienced the crushing disappointment when you realise Proton doesn't have six strap-on boosters :P

Little bit of overkill for short range rocket arty, don't you think?  With that angle of attack, the target can't be more than 30 miles! :D