SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

14 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

Why do they swap the fuel and oxidiser tanks on superheavy compared to statship. 
Starship has LOX at the bottom and methane at top however it appears that this is flipped for superheavy. 

Why? is it again because of weight? 

Probably centre of mass. They also don't need as long of a LOX downcomer.

1 hour ago, Flying dutchman said:

Is it Just me, or does that look wider on the Bottom?

It's due to the reflection from the door. It's as vertical as a joined up welded cylinder can be.

Edited by YNM

2 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:
2 hours ago, Flying dutchman said:

Is it Just me, or does that look wider on the Bottom?

I think it's just perspective.

Copied to Inkscape and measured.
~295 px on top and ~290 px where the body meets the lower (conical ?) part and changes the color, 
~303 px at the bottom.

As we're looking from top, the bottom should be, vice versa, narrower.

So, looks like it's a cone below the cylinder.

Spoiler

Well, it's normal.

244ad849f82ac8d4fd55758600b468bb.jpg

Edited by kerbiloid

1 hour ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

I saw the same thing as you, initially, but I agree with the respondents that it is likely a trick of the light / reflection of the highbay

Yes, they talked a bit about making the bottom a bit wider for more engines but that will be future versions. 

Wow. This is big!

One seat is given to the guy who started this thing.

Second seat is for someone with close ties to St. Jude's children's hospital.

Third seat will be given away in some sort of entrepreneurial contest with an online store and judges and whatnot.

Fourth seat will be given away in a raffle. Donations to St. Jude's give more raffle entries for more money.

The odds are doubtless extremely low, but it's awesome to think that normal people have at least a tiny chance of being able to go to space!

Eleventy-first! (not quite, Mr. Baggins)

18 minutes ago, tater said:

Hah! Sorry to be pessimistic, but for now (and the foreseeable future), orbital space tourism will be the realm of multi-millionaires, their friends, and maybe a few random people for PR reasons. Suborbital will just be a lesser degree of wealth.

Friendly reminder that we have not one, not two, but THREE Falcon Heavy launches scheduled for this year!

USSF 44

USSF 52

ViaSat 3

!!!

My back-of-the-napkin guesswork suggests somewhere around the 2e-7 mark for your chance of being selected upon entry as an average person. That's 0.00002%. Might be as good as 0.0002%, for the optimist?

Edited by cubinator

2 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

"Everyday people" who happen to have over $50M to spend on a one-week trip to the ISS.

The specific mission I just linked is raffling off the other seats to benefit St. Jude's Children's Hospital, and I don't think it is going to ISS. While the number of entries scales to the donation level, as a "sweepstake" it has the legal requirement of no cost for entry (noted at the bottom of the page after mentioning the $10 min donation (you get more entries with a dollar donation, vs 1 for free).

So it's possible to go for nothing, though everyone donating $1000+ gets 10,000 entries.

1 minute ago, tater said:

The specific mission I just linked is raffling off the other seats to benefit St. Jude's Children's Hospital, and I don't think it is going to ISS. While the number of entries scales to the donation level, as a "sweepstake" it has the legal requirement of no cost for entry (noted at the bottom of the page after mentioning the $10 min donation (you get more entries with a dollar donation, vs 1 for free).

So it's possible to go for nothing, though everyone donating $1000+ gets 10,000 entries.

Yes, it's a multi-day mission with a "customized flight path", whatever that means besides the usual aerospace stuff, and a $10 donation gets you 100 entries, which is 100 times more than 1, but a lot less than the probable total amount. 

Spoiler

Probably only a few people will donate the big bucks, so the average position is maybe the $500 mark. That's 500 million entries. So if you donate for 100 entries out of 500 million, your odds are 2e-7.

2 hours ago, cubinator said:

it's a multi-day mission with a "customized flight path", whatever that means besides the usual aerospace stuff

If it's a few days long I hope they won't need to hold their stomach. Maybe this will be the first time we see the potty in Dragon.

It's still a big news however, orbital flights from a company and processing that have little backing from a national space agency. I know there were tourists onboard Mir but they had Roscosmos for training, plus it goes to Mir. Still willing to bet that whoever they elect to fly still have to pass medicals, and I guess the accommodation would be the same as on an ISS ferry flight.

Edited by YNM

Spoiler

7 hours ago, tater said:
7 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

"Everyday people" who happen to have over $50M to spend on a one-week trip to the ISS.

The specific mission I just linked is raffling off the other seats to benefit St. Jude's Children's Hospital, and I don't think it is going to ISS.

Am I the only one who recalls:

hqdefault.jpg