SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

41 minutes ago, tater said:

Yeah, that doesn't tell anything either. How was "maximum public risk allowed" exceeded? What exactly was the thing they should have done differently with SN8  and did differently with SN9 now to get the approval?

edit: I mean of course if they didn't have FAA approval they shouldn't have launched but that text still doesn't explain why they didn't get the approval for SN8 and what they did differently to get it for SN9 now.

Edited by tseitsei89

1 hour ago, tseitsei89 said:

How was "maximum public risk allowed" exceeded? What exactly was the thing they should have done differently with SN8  and did differently with SN9 now to get the approval?

I'm willing to bet that using TFRs for destructive testing hasn't been a thing. Plus the jurisdiction of the FAA ends on the US-Mexico border, which is a mere 3 mi / 5 km away (although the closest point to the border on the Rio Grande is a mere 2.4 mi / 3.8 km away but this is towards the land).

Given that this is a TFR from ground level all the way to space, it's a bit concerning perhaps that the horizontal borders are nowhere as far... And I'm seriously wondering why there hasn't been any reaction from the southern neighbor given this launch site is soo close to them.

Edited by YNM

27 minutes ago, Flying dutchman said:

perhaps this is a stupid question but.. starship does not use storable propellants, won't boiloff prevent them from landing on mars?

At least the methane tank is inside the  main tanks who are empty. Oxygen boiloff might be an issue., they might just add an extra header tank inside the LOX tank, drain this during launch but fill it up in orbit and keep the nose tank empty until you are about to land. 
They will need to refuel starship on mars anyway for an return. 

25 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

They will need to refuel starship on mars anyway for an return. 

I think the point was more that it takes many months to get from the Earth to Mars, and they need to still have fuel in the tanks when they get there or else all they are going to to make on Mars is a crater.

1 hour ago, Flying dutchman said:

perhaps this is a stupid question but.. starship does not use storable propellants, won't boiloff prevent them from landing on mars?

8 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

I think the point was more that it takes many months to get from the Earth to Mars, and they need to still have fuel in the tanks when they get there or else all they are going to to make on Mars is a crater.

Which is why Starship is still so far away from the final goal. But to be fair we have never done anything remotely close at that, we've always used hypergolics for it.

They'll have to find a way to deal with boiloff. Either that or design the tanks so it can hold all the pressures generated inside once it all boils off. Or a cooling system perhaps.

7 minutes ago, YNM said:

Which is why Starship is still so far away from the final goal. But to be fair we have never done anything remotely close at that, we've always used hypergolics for it.

They'll have to find a way to deal with boiloff. Either that or design the tanks so it can hold all the pressures generated inside once it all boils off. Or a cooling system perhaps.

A liquid engine can't run on gas.

At least it's not hydrogen, which tends to escape anything it is held in because the molecules are so small. (And also embrittles metal.)

Boil off for CH4 and LOX is not nearly as bad as H2.

For a 6mo trip, LOX loss will be on the order of 3% with little attempt at mitigation. (Hydrogen would be about that much per month I think)

Not sure about CH4, but I recall it is closer to LOX than H2 in that regard.

I think both propellants can substantially reduce boil off with some mitigation effort.

Edited by tater