SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

55 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would think that successful restart of each engine is a single failure point for Falcon 9 recovery regardless of mission profile. If they are doing a three-engine burn it's because they don't have enough margins for a single-engine burn, so a failure of either outboard engine means they don't have the thrust they need. If they are doing a single-engine burn then they only restart the center engine, and if it fails to restart they're screwed anyway.

Yeah, given timing constraints, if they need only 1 engine, by the time they determine it's time to rtry another it's too late.

You'd need a landing profile where you light all redundant engines that seem nominal before startup, then shut off any you don't need (shutting off any that are not nominal after the start attempt first).

57 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

The impression I received from the explanation was that hot gas recirculation during the ascent caused a burn-through of the engine boot and triggered a commanded shutdown of that engine, resulting in the other 8 engines completing the ascent at higher throttle. When they attempted the restart for the entry burn, the damaged boot caused a thrust shortfall on that engine which was ultimately unrecoverable.

Was it just shy of MECO at that point?

I'm not currently comfortable enough with Starship that I would ride one back down to Earth. Maybe from the Moon to LEO, and then dock with a Dragon to come home, but I don't know if I'd be willing to trust my life with the bellyflop and flip even after a few years...That said, everything else about the moon mission sounds perfect for me.

I would love a seat, and I'd fly in 2023 given a chance. Such an incredible experience is surely worth a chance of it being ultimate.

But I'm not a creative type, and not really in a position to be meaningfully supportive of the other passengers, so I'm not eligible alas.

3 hours ago, tater said:
If someone gave me a ride on NS flying tomorrow I'd go (only about a 5 hour drive from here). Starship in 2023 with EDL? LOL, no.

Uh, no.

I'm going.

I'm definitely going.

That is now my plan. I'm going.

Offer me a space on a lunar free-return in Starship? Hell yes; I'm in.

I don't actually know anyone who is better at explaining science and spaceflight and the wonders of the universe than me. Nye, Tyson, and everyone else included.

52 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

I don't actually know anyone who is better at explaining science and spaceflight and the wonders of the universe than me. Nye, Tyson, and everyone else included.

Your better elevator pitch might be writing space chanties.

Just sayin'.

(Elon likes chanties)

SN10-vertical-0223.jpg

Starship page updated for hop.

3 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Hoo boy. Has somebody been into the Ambien again? :joy:

I can personally attest that a bit too much of that can lead to staying up all night designing crazy rockets that actually work and occasionally founding vast empires from a single city... but don’t ask how I know.... :blush:

But more than likely, someone probably just told him that he couldn’t... :wacko:

2 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

occasionally founding vast empires from a single city... but don’t ask how I know.... :blush:

Elon started playing the real life versions of Rocket Tycoon and CarFactorio at pretty  much the same time. Now he's starting his own game of Elon Musk's Civilization, with the starting city of Starbase.

giphy.gif

9 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Elon started playing the real life versions of Rocket Tycoon and CarFactorio at pretty  much the same time. Now he's starting his own game of Elon Musk's Civilization, with the starting city of Starbase.

giphy.gif

So, forget Mars, now we’re going to Alpha Centauri? :cool:

unless Gandhi gets us first...

Unfortunately I have even less chance at getting a ride- although I am decently talented in the musical arts (nothing too special), I’m out on grounds of my periodic heart arrhythmia. So a no for deep space or probably even orbit, but I suspect Blue would take me.

24 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

I have two I wrote for NASA/ULA and one I'm writing for Astrobotics/ULA so come at me bro

I know, that's why I mentioned it. You should write a Starship chanty. Maybe suggest it needs a manual capstan for the elevator as a backup ;)

Edited by tater

FDco27i.png

I do look decent in a spacesuit, if I do say so myself... Probably could have zoomed in on my face a bit more though. I've probably already gotten my time's worth out of this just seeing me in the suit lol.

Edited by Ultimate Steve

SpaceX owes fans... nothing at all. Nor random people "spying" on them with cams, doing Kremlinology, etc. This was a classy thing to do. Can you imagine what would happen if I put a cam up someplace near BO's facility on Bezos' ranch? Course Bezos bought up nearly 400,000 acres before setting up there, so it literally might not be possible without trespassing while still having LOS.

Edited by tater