SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/10/anger-after-indonesia-offers-elon-musk-papuan-island-for-spacex-launchpad

If spacex accepts or any other party accepts then this would devastate the natives by destroying their hunting grounds, environment and would drive up deforestation and increase military presence. The people of Papua are already marginalized and forgotten by the Indonesian government who continuously strip their lands of natural resources and heritage.

Edited by SpaceFace545

3 hours ago, SpaceFace545 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/10/anger-after-indonesia-offers-elon-musk-papuan-island-for-spacex-launchpad

If spacex accepts or any other party accepts then this would devastate the natives by destroying their hunting grounds, environment and would drive up deforestation and increase military presence. The people of Papua are already marginalized and forgotten by the Indonesian government who continuously strip their lands of natural resources and heritage.

I think that the Indonesian government offered if for the money it can rake in and, well, they already don't care about the people, might as well exploit their land. And God forbid that they just, keep them there, in where the restricted zone would be.

The entire Boca Chica facility is under 200 acres, and the launch site itself is maybe 25-30 acres of that. About 2/3 the size of my kids' school campus for the whole thing, and the size of my neighborhood (a street in a loop) for the launch area.

As a reality check, the Boca Chica launch area (I'm counting that entire end there, so I am exaggerating it substantially) is 0.007% of the land area of Biak. A possible launch platform (oil rig) is about half the size of my own property (0.00009% of Biak area) as the smallest area required case. I would imagine there is grossly more "devastation" on Biak to this day just from WW2 (Japanese shipping was slaughtered in that region by the 5th AF, there are likely wrecks still leaking oil/etc to this day).

I don't see SpaceX moving to an equatorial jungle any time soon, but I'm sure the article both generated clicks, and aroused moral outrage in some.

Edited by tater

2 minutes ago, tater said:

The entire Boca Chica facility is under 200 acres, and the launch site itself is maybe 25-30 acres of that. About 2/3 the size of my kids' school campus for the whole thing, and the size of my neighborhood (a street in a loop) for the launch area.

As a reality check, the Boca Chica lauch area (I'm counting that entire end there, so I am exaggerating it substantially) is 0.007% of the land area of Biak. I would imagine there is grossly more "devastation" on Biak to this day just from WW2 (Japanese shipping was slaughtered in that region by the 5th AF, there are likely wrecks still leaking oil/etc to this day).

I don't see SpaceX moving to an equatorial jungle any time soon, but I'm sure the article both generated clicks, and aroused moral outrage in some.

It is The Guardian after all
I'm not saying it's a tabloid
But I'm not saying it isn't either

Spoiler

7 hours ago, tater said:

It's quite small. They can make it cubic beneath.

GeoFront is what they need now.
To launch from the dungeon, to land on the elevator platform.

#bocachicageofront

13 hours ago, SpaceFace545 said:

Papua... yeah, right. Geographically, location looks good. But it's in the proverbial middle of nowhere, far from any significant industrial centers, there's no infrastructure, everything needed would have to be shipped in, and so on. And of course tensions between local population and government.

It would be less risky and faster to start talks with ESA\CNES about leasing part of Kourou spaceport.

6 hours ago, Brotoro said:

Have they given up on catching the fairing halves in nets? They seem to only be fishing them out of the drink lately.

I suspect so. I don't recall any proper attempts since one of the ships took a bad knock to the radar.

Perhaps they figure there's too much risk of damage, and if fishing the fairings out of the ocean works...

Edited by RCgothic

Vibration is difficult to deal with.

A tethered platform at a distance from the main barge would be outside the vibration zone, but it's probably not worth the cost of setting up and collecting each launch.