SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

Current take-home lesson - eject before landing, or make sure you're first to the door after touchdown.

But on a serious note, good to see NASA taking an interest in public.

Nüwa

Spoiler

800px-Nuwa2.jpg

Nothing common to Mars. Also, when CN start building their own base, why steal the title in advance?

The proper name is Nergal City.

Because Nergal is the personification of both Mars (planet) and desert.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nergal

and because the greatest Martian river valley already is Nergal Valley.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nirgal_Vallis

Spoiler

4 hours ago, hms_warrior said:

obviously the first town on a new planet has to be called first landing.

https://gameofthrones.fandom.com/wiki/King's_Landing

I don't insist, but EElon/EarthMMusk/MarsSShip One  is not a usual ship...

Wait... Isn't that why he has called himself Technoking?..

Edited by kerbiloid

1 hour ago, Serpens Solidus said:

Is it supposed to be that short

They don't want to damage the pad. Remember there's no deluge system for sound suppression here.

On that note -- I really do not understand how Elon could possibly think that they will be able to get away without a water deluge system on the orbital pad. For tests with BN2, sure? But for orbital flights we are talking about even more thrust than the Nova rocket (with eight F-1 engines). The Apollo 4 launch of the Saturn V without a sound suppression system seriously damaged Pad 39A. I can't imagine that the orbital pad will survive even a single unprotected Superheavy launch.

2 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

I really do not understand how Elon could possibly think that they will be able to get away without a water deluge system on the orbital pad. For tests with BN2, sure? But for orbital flights we are talking about even more thrust than the Nova rocket (with eight F-1 engines). The Apollo 4 launch of the Saturn V without a sound suppression system seriously damaged Pad 39A. I can't imagine that the orbital pad will survive even a single unprotected Superheavy launch.

Wouldn't the much higher thrust/lift ratio help lessen pad wear by greatly shortening the duration of the high-stress period of the launch?

No idea  if this would reduce the stress more or less than a deluge system would, but it seems like it should help at the very least.

They may also be testing out a different launch pad design intended to reduce wear and tear on the pad.

(if your pad can only manage 1 launch every couple of days, it does not matter how much faster your rocket is ready to go, and I have no idea how long it takes to get all that water pumped up and ready to go)