SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

10 minutes ago, JcoolTheShipbuilder said:

When could sn11 launch?

5 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

As early as tomorrow, or Wednesday/Thursday as backups.

The road closure for tomorrow was cancelled (likely a sign of a norminal static fire), so now it's NET Wednesday with Thursday as a backup date.

4 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

The road closure for tomorrow was cancelled (likely a sign of a norminal static fire), so now it's NET Wednesday with Thursday as a backup date.

I didn't see that, I checked right after the static fire, I thought it was still there. :D Thanks for the update

1 minute ago, Spaceception said:

I didn't see that, I checked right after the static fire, I thought it was still there. :D Thanks for the update

It was cancelled an hour or so after the static fire, hopefully it does mean that everything went well :)

37 minutes ago, RyanRising said:

Is Starlink about the most routine space launch there is nowadays? Or is there some other configuration and mission that still launches more often?

I'd say so. I don't think the entire world has ever had a launch cadence of operational missions to match what just SpaceX is doing now. **

And apparently this is the sixth flight for this booster

** Maybe in the testing phases of the 50s and early 60's they lit candles that often, but IDK

14 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

I'm almost more interested to see the completed pad over more ship prototypes to be honest. I wonder how they're planning for pad turnarounds.

The scary part is that the pad is only the beginning. There's also the crane-catcher-tower to go with it. I fear it will be a Falcon Heavy type of thing: seems simple, but devilishly complicated actually get figured out.

3 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

The scary part is that the pad is only the beginning. There's also the crane-catcher-tower to go with it. I fear it will be a Falcon Heavy type of thing: seems simple, but devilishly complicated actually get figured out.

They are planning a second pad. Maybe they'll use that one for practicing the catches without risking the main pad? Or they'll set up a landing pad with the major elements for the catching system until they're ready to land on the pad itself. It'll be interesting to see how they move forward with it.

6 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

I fear it will be a Falcon Heavy type of thing: seems simple, but devilishly complicated actually get figured out.

This. If they dont see 3 to 4 years of delays before the vision of rapid turnaround starship becomes a reality, im goimg to be pleasantly suprised. Honestly i was really happy when i saw them doing the DragonXL. It means we can seriously see beyond low earth missions in the mean time