SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

1 hour ago, RealKerbal3x said:

That might have been the original plan but as far as I can tell SN10 did its last static fire on 25 Feb and flew on 3 March.

They aborted a flight just after ignition on March 3 (then turned around and flew that same day!) so that probably counts as a static fire. ‘Twas static and the engines fired.

2 hours ago, RyanRising said:

They aborted a flight just after ignition on March 3 (then turned around and flew that same day!) so that probably counts as a static fire. ‘Twas static and the engines fired.

That's probably what I was thinking of. Thanks!

9 hours ago, tater said:

Loads of vids of that F9 Stage 2 reentering. Wonder what the deal is with their deorbit burns, this is I think the third one  that was not disposed of properly.

I mean, that's always what it looks like, right? Usually it just does that over the Indian Ocean or something.

47 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

I mean, that's always what it looks like, right? Usually it just does that over the Indian Ocean or something.

Yeah, reentry over land has got to be off nominal. There's usually a hazard warning in the S Pacific.

21 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

I wonder if a normal, planned re-entry is steeper and thus looks different.....

You'd think these days there would be sailing cruisers in the SoPac, and they have internet and phones like the rest of us, lol.

Spoiler

^^^ESA ATV being disposed of SoPac.

Edited by tater

3 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

SpaceX website updated for SN11 flight: https://www.spacex.com/vehicles/starship/

Presser:

As early as Friday, March 26, the SpaceX team will attempt a high-altitude flight test of Starship serial number 11 (SN11) – our fourth high-altitude flight test of a Starship prototype from Starbase in Texas. Similar to previous high-altitude flight tests of Starship, SN11 will be powered through ascent by three Raptor engines, each shutting down in sequence prior to the vehicle reaching apogee – approximately 10 km in altitude. SN11 will perform a propellant transition to the internal header tanks, which hold landing propellant, before reorienting itself for reentry and a controlled aerodynamic descent.

The Starship prototype will descend under active aerodynamic control, accomplished by independent movement of two forward and two aft flaps on the vehicle. All four flaps are actuated by an onboard flight computer to control Starship’s attitude during flight and enable precise landing at the intended location. SN11’s Raptor engines will then reignite as the vehicle attempts a landing flip maneuver immediately before touching down on the landing pad adjacent to the launch mount.

A controlled aerodynamic descent with body flaps and vertical landing capability, combined with in-space refilling, are critical to landing Starship at destinations across the solar system where prepared surfaces or runways do not exist, and returning to Earth. This capability will enable a fully reusable transportation system designed to carry both crew and cargo on long-duration, interplanetary flights and help humanity return to the Moon, and travel to Mars and beyond.

There will be a live feed of the flight test available here that will start a few minutes prior to liftoff. Given the dynamic schedule of development testing, stay tuned to our social media channels for updates as we move toward SpaceX’s fourth high-altitude flight test of Starship!