SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

On 3/25/2021 at 9:34 AM, Ultimate Steve said:

I'd imagine the video would be about introducing yourself and explaining why you would be a good candidate for the mission, but they definitely should have elaborated on that.

They sent out another email to clarify that they intentionally didn't clarify:

"For this phase of the screening process, you will be asked to shoot and submit a one minute video. Before shooting and submitting your video, make sure you follow the guidelines below. There is no specific topic for you to present in the video and the content is free at your own creativity."

19 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

They sent out another email to clarify that they intentionally didn't clarify:

"For this phase of the screening process, you will be asked to shoot and submit a one minute video. Before shooting and submitting your video, make sure you follow the guidelines below. There is no specific topic for you to present in the video and the content is free at your own creativity."

So space chanty it is then, lol.

FAA inspector...

Arrives, looks at rocket. "Yep, that's a rocket."

Signs paper.

(or does anyone imagine he measures things, calculates what he thinks will happen this launch from first principles, then makes a decision)

That's one of the oddest reasons for a scrub I've ever seen. I can just imagine the conversation.

Engineer: We're scrubbed for today.
Elon: Why? We're tracking no issues on SN11 and the weather is looking good for the planned liftoff time.
Engineer: Well, the FAA inspector's car broke down, so we can't launch.

:P

Edited by RealKerbal3x

1 hour ago, tater said:

So space chanty it is then, lol.

Haha!! No, I don't want to pigeonhole myself as a singing science guy. I'll probably do a video that introduces myself and talks about what I like, but in a format that illustrates public communication ability.

That's my schtick, anyway. "Hi, I talk about science and people listen to me because I act like I know what I'm talking about, but also I know what I'm talking about."

7 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Haha!! No, I don't want to pigeonhole myself as a singing science guy. I'll probably do a video that introduces myself and talks about what I like, but in a format that illustrates public communication ability.

That's my schtick, anyway. "Hi, I talk about science and people listen to me because I act like I know what I'm talking about, but also I know what I'm talking about."

If you get to go, you better livesteam a chanty, anyway. :D

1 hour ago, RealKerbal3x said:

That's one of the oddest reasons for a scrub I've ever seen. I can just imagine the conversation.

Engineer: We're scrubbed for today.
Elon: Why? We're tracking no issues on SN11 and the weather is looking good for the planned liftoff time.
Engineer: Well, the FAA inspector's car broke down, so we can't launch.

:P

Tuesday morning: a Tesla pulls up at the inspector’s house, no driver, just a sign taped to the window reading, “get in, loser, we’re launching Starships!”

2 hours ago, tater said:
FAA inspector...

Arrives, looks at rocket. "Yep, that's a rocket."

Signs paper.

(or does anyone imagine he measures things, calculates what he thinks will happen this launch from first principles, then makes a decision)

Its more so the inspector can coordinate a response if something goes wrong. Kinda like a fire chief. You can get by without them, right up until the situation overwhelms you.

Edited by Meecrob

2 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Tuesday morning: a Tesla pulls up at the inspector’s house, no driver, just a sign taped to the window reading, “get in, loser, we’re launching Starships!”

AI: "Inspector? In, specter..."

15 seconds later

Spoiler

(Just in case: the car is kinda AI)

Edited by kerbiloid

2 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Had to chuckle...

I will point out here that we've just gone through more than two years of pretty nearly the entire world complaining that the FAA does not regulate carefully enough, but for some reason SpaceX fans seem to think the FAA should just let SpaceX do whatever they want to do.

Edited by mikegarrison