SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

5 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

I suspect this means Engines 1 and 3 did reach full chamber pressure, but Engine 2's turbopump failed catastrophically at startup due to the fire damage and fragged the other two engines. Falcon 9's octaweb includes frag shields between engines, but there are no shields between engines on Starship. Losing the other two engines would have resulted in the system immediately realizing it couldn't land and triggering the FTS.

If this is the issue then they've run into an interesting problem. I'm not sure how they'd set up a debris shield given that the three SL Raptors are so close together and gimbal at such a high angle during the flip maneuver and landing burn.

Just now, Lewie said:

Does anyone know what those silver tubes on the skirt are? 

I believe they're COPVs (composite overwrapped pressure vessels) for storing nitrogen. They look like they're covered in silver thermal blankets as they're usually black.

9 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

And speaking of booms, I predict that there will be no booms tomorrow. In fact, I guaran-ding-dang-diddly-durn-tee it.

Because I’m going to sleep through it. -_-

or it’ll just scrub anyway...

*cough*

#ThatAgedWell

9 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

And speaking of booms, I predict that there will be no booms tomorrow. In fact, I guaran-ding-dang-diddly-durn-tee it.

Because I’m going to sleep through it. -_-

or it’ll just scrub anyway...

*cough*

#ThatAgedWell

1 minute ago, RealKerbal3x said:

I believe they're COPVs (composite overwrapped pressure vessels) for storing nitrogen. They look like they're covered in silver thermal blankets as they're usually black.

Are they new, or have they always been there? (Am I going bonkers?? I don’t remember seeing them before)

39 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

If this is the issue then they've run into an interesting problem. I'm not sure how they'd set up a debris shield given that the three SL Raptors are so close together and gimbal at such a high angle during the flip maneuver and landing burn.

I imagine they'd need to build the frag shield directly around the turbopumps below the gimbal. They won't do it at this time, obviously, because they need video view of the engines for diagnostics.

27 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Falcons fly. Raptors didn't,

I mean, falcons are raptors....

4 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

I mean, falcons are raptors....

some might conflate raptor with velociraptor, not realizing it's just a generic term for bird of prey.

From an NSF post:

From my contacts at KSC.
Two engines failed to relight for flip, vehicle was out of proper position for landing, Flight Termination System self activated.

So not on target. FTS would trigger in that instance. That's actually less bad than an uncontained engine RUD IMO.

Scott Manley's hot take (based on Elon's "crater in the right place") was that FTS would be safed for landing, therefore tank rupture caused by engine RUD.

Edited by RCgothic

42 minutes ago, tater said:

That was just a post on NSF, but I thought it was interesting if true.

That seems close to this post which apparently has inside info from SpaceX employees:

That suggests FTS was activated from the ground rather than self-activated on the vehicle.

This relight thing seems consistently tricky. DC-X never had to relight its engines in flight, let alone relight from a weird angle. The header tanks were a good idea and seem to work okay, but they may just not work well enough.

Elon will be mad if they end up having to pause and dev the hot-gas thrusters just to execute the flip.

Lost comms and can't see it due to fog, would easily be solved by not flying it in the fog. It seemed a weird move to go ahead in that weather.

For example, if it had nailed the landing, there would be little or no footage to bolster confidence in the public eye. And if it had done something else unusual, less data to figure out what happened.

"Engines didn't relight" is handy to know at this stage but it would be interesting WHY they didn't relight, and the route to solve that issue/those issues.

1 hour ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Indeed. :(

Well, psychology didn’t work, guess it’s on to summoning eldritch abominations and binding them to my will next time. :/

Yep. You just need to ask yourself - what would Cthulu do?