SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

2 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

For sure. Until it burns

Given that you said "without landing", what are you suggesting, making a full 15 meters high falcon 9 second stage just crash somewhere without burning, all this from orbital velocity? Doesn't seem safe at all

10 minutes ago, Beccab said:

Given that you said "without landing", what are you suggesting, making a full 15 meters high falcon 9 second stage just crash somewhere without burning, all this from orbital velocity? Doesn't seem safe at all

The question is, can it aerobrake down to the terminal velocity, let alone the landing.

If it had a heat sheild and landing guidance, probably. SpaceX is pretty good at doing what they say they are going to do, and doing it faster than any other company or organization.

10 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

The question is, can it aerobrake down to the terminal velocity, let alone the landing.

I'm pretty confident that math has been done by all the launch providers, and NASA, ESA, etc. They dispose of upper stages routinely, and presumably they actually design them to intentionally fail, since the goal is for them to burn up.

1 minute ago, mikegarrison said:

Do not forget all the basic research that NASA and the USAF did in the 60s on lifting bodies.

Yes, and iirc, the original full-steel Starshiphopper has already become aluminium and covered with tiles after first tests.

So, calculations are good, but actual  successful aerobraking is gooder.

1 minute ago, mikegarrison said:

Do not forget all the basic research that NASA and the USAF did in the 60s on lifting bodies.

True, they absolutely did the math. I specifically mean the computational ability to do CFD at a level that was just not possible in the 60s. (maybe it was possible, but with far, far more human effort and time required).

11 minutes ago, tater said:

I'm pretty confident that math has been done by all the launch providers, and NASA, ESA, etc. They dispose of upper stages routinely, and presumably they actually design them to intentionally fail, since the goal is for them to burn up.

As far as I can tell, mainly the goal is to make them land in the ocean. "Burning up on re-entry" is sort of a polite fiction.

Just now, mikegarrison said:

As far as I can tell, mainly the goal is to make them land in the ocean. "Burning up on re-entry" is sort of a polite fiction.

Well, people did get to see one breaking into pieces east of Seattle a few weeks ago, right?

4 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Many cylinders  have aerobraked, but noone without turning into scrap before touching the ground.

I think you're confusing correlation with causation. Many cylindrical objects have burned up on re-entry, but that's because none of them were designed to survive it - they weren't equipped with heat shielding or any method of attitude control. Cylinders aren't a bad re-entry vehicle shape just because a discarded cylindrical stage doesn't survive.

6 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Many cylinders  have aerobraked, but noone without turning into scrap before touching the ground.

Are we sure of that? Seems like some might have only  had a problem with the sudden stop at the end of the flight ;)

Spoiler

thumbnail_image2.jpg

12 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Lifting body is not just for terminal velocity (all of them have it ~150 m/s at last). 

Radial acceleration and heat distribution.

Sorry - I meant 'lifting body for aerodynamic landing' - to allow for landing on wheels on a runway.  I intended that to be distinct from terminal velocity - which AFAIK is the best a cylinder can do without the engines kicking in.   

From what I glean from Mike's thread, lifting body + control surfaces allow for a plane-like landing.  Cylinder + control surfaces give you some control over where you crash absent the engine assist 

5 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

I think you're confusing correlation with causation. Many cylindrical objects have burned up on re-entry, but that's because none of them were designed to survive it - they weren't equipped with heat shielding or any method of attitude control. Cylinders aren't a bad re-entry vehicle shape just because a discarded cylindrical stage doesn't survive.

I just want to see an upper stage stayed structurally intact after aerobraking, according to its telemetry.

2 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

From what I glean from Mike's thread, lifting body + control surfaces allow for a plane-like landing.  Cylinder + control surfaces give you some control over where you crash absent the engine assist 

It's often said (with some accuracy) that a brick can fly if you give it enough thrust. What's most important is the control authority.

Anything with any positive coefficient of lift can control its sink rate as long as it has enough airspeed, but those lifting bodies needed LOOOONG runways because they came in really fast.

However, there is a problem of airspeed management. If you have no thrust then you can only counteract drag by either losing airspeed or losing height. So you need to be able to lose height pretty steeply right up until the end, and then flare to control your sink rate just before you touch down. It's pretty much as delicate as a suicide burn for a rocket. You need everything to set up correctly (airspeed, sink rate, touchdown location, aligned with the runway direction) at just the right time, and if you have no go-around capability then you need to do it right the first time.

14 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Designed =/= Able

Not always, but it can come close. And it's getting closer. The T-7 Red Hawk trainer/light attack aircraft was designed and tested almost entirely electronically.

35 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Yes, and iirc, the original full-steel Starshiphopper has already become aluminium and covered with tiles after first tests.

Still stainless steel. TPS evolved from transpiration to tiles but otherwise still present.