SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

2 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

I hope, SpaceX succeeds with cylindric Starship, so I will be able to treat this as a viable design for KSP, because it would simplify a lot.

It does have aero surfaces, though (whatever you want to call the flaps). How aerobraking with a plain version might or might not be done is a different issue.

Edited by tater

3 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

quoted with no argument  but "In Musk we trust".

Earlier I pointed out the SpaceX had considered recovering F9 second stages by putting a heatshield and landing thrusters on it. They scrapped the idea for cost reasons, but it's a cylinder, and they considered reentering and recovering it. There's another argument.

I've also pointed out that your argument based on historical designs not being cylinders is a poor one, first because of the small sample set of manned craft, and second because Starship has a totally different set of design requirements.

2 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

If I started answering these points, they would say I repeat again, so I better will refrain from that, cause it's scepticism vs believes, and religious discussions are against forum rules.

LOL. But no.

Edited by SOXBLOX

EzkztKvVkAM-J7s?format=jpg

Also, that nose cone inside a metal cage is apparently being moved. If t heads to the pad, the purpose is probably fairly destructive. Since it's not pressurized, they must be trying to crush it or something.

If somebody is really bugging you that much, don't read his/her posts or set that forum member to ignore. This saves you the time, effort, and aggravation of writing angry replies to that person's posts. Doesn't that sound more pleasant than growling at each other? 

7 hours ago, RCgothic said:

1) Re-entry vehicles don't need lift.

2) In any case, cylinders have lift and fins have lift.

1) Is not true except for weapons, where deceleration loading is not really a factor. Otherwise, even capsule-type re-entry vehicles need the ability to control their lift in order to maintain the desired deceleration. Not too much, but not too little.

2) Body lift is indeed a real thing.

Vostok and Voskhod didn't have any lift. Therefore also true for re-entry capsules. The desirability of a ballistic entry is, of course, arguable. The necessity is not.

Edited by RCgothic

5 hours ago, RCgothic said:

It's a tension member construction, so it's definitely for applying external loads.

Aero simulator is my guess.

But I don't see any actuators.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_bird_(aviation)

Usually they have pretty obvious actuators to apply loads. They generally are used for accelerated high-cycle fatigue testing.

1 hour ago, RCgothic said:

Vostok and Voskhod didn't have any lift. Therefore also true for re-entry capsules. The desirability of a ballistic entry is, of course, arguable. The necessity is not.

And they stopped using that design, didn't they?

Edited by mikegarrison

20 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

But I don't see any actuators.

Apparently a hydraulic ram was lowered inside it before they capped it (was visible in some pics on NSF). Someone actually figured out what specific one it was, and it can pull or push I guess.

They are not messing around WRT orbital launch facility. Looks like they are prefabricating "levels" of the tower structure:

EzmdygkVgAEYOHI?format=jpg

Edited by tater

28 minutes ago, Max von Kerman said:

Excited about Crew 2 launch in 5 hours and since its friday i dont have school after 12:00 yay

More like 11 hours.

The coverage starts early since they have all kinds of suiting up, drive to the pad, etc. Takes forever. Launch is at 0949 GMT.