SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

I'm glad we got the answer to the question of where SpaceX will be targeting their first SuperHeavy/Starship orbital test... but the thought of dropping 28 Raptors into the drink makes me sad.

42 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Deimos is currently undergoing retrofit at Brownsville. The FCC filing doesn't specifically say that the booster will splash down. I wonder if they try to land it on Deimos if only to recover the engines.

Indeed, it says splashdown for the Starship, but TOUCHDOWN for the booster. They are recovering it.

It would fit on an ASDS, and it only masses a couple hundred tons (barges hold 10X that).

For this test, they could literally put 6 F9 legs on SH.

33 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Contract to be completed by the end of '22?  So - is this going to be a Starship demonstration, or two CargoDragon capsules with fuel inside?

Crew Dragon uses hypergolic fuesl, not cryo-fuel. I suppose they could do something similar by fitting 2 tanks in the cargo bay, one liquid methane, and the other liquid oxygen, then they could work their way up to full size Starships.

10 minutes ago, GuessingEveryDay said:

Crew Dragon uses hypergolic fuesl, not cryo-fuel. I suppose they could do something similar by fitting 2 tanks in the cargo bay, one liquid methane, and the other liquid oxygen, then they could work their way up to full size Starships.

That is what I was thinking.  Dragon is a working space craft.  Starship is a proof of concept with one successful landing.  Admittedly, the pace of SX is such that they might be able to get one or more SS's to space in the time frame - and possibly try to dock those behemoths... But that might be pushing it a bit. 

I did not read the award and specifications - but were it me - I'd throw up two Dragon's with a fuel-transfer apparatus in each - test in orbit and pocket the cash for SS 

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

1 hour ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Contract to be completed by the end of '22?  So - is this going to be a Starship demonstration, or two CargoDragon capsules with fuel inside?

100% Starship.

There's a zero % chance they rig up Dragons to transfer "large scale" cryo management and transfer.

31 minutes ago, tater said:

100% Starship.

There's a zero % chance they rig up Dragons to transfer "large scale" cryo management and transfer.

I think you're absolutely correct; going SS is 'their thing'.

Still - a highly aspirational timeline.

Edit: frankly, I love it.  Their stark departure from the cautious pace of how things have been done for so long is one of the reasons I watch them with such interest

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

17 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

As I recall, Vostok 1 actually landed west of where they launched it from.

Wow, somehow I did not know that.

vostok-1-orbit-path_590x379.jpg

If his flight counts as orbital, so would the Starship flight (else the first man in orbit was actually Titov).

In this case it's a test of orbital velocity reentry for SS, and a test of the booster, period.

There's not really any useful testing of the booster except static fires (for the LV, and to test the pad/GSE/vibration), and an actual flight. Any hop seems like it needs a mass simulator, and the mass on top is ~1300t.

43 minutes ago, tater said:

Wow, somehow I did not know that.

vostok-1-orbit-path_590x379.jpg

If his flight counts as orbital, so would the Starship flight (else the first man in orbit was actually Titov).

In this case it's a test of orbital velocity reentry for SS, and a test of the booster, period.

There's not really any useful testing of the booster except static fires (for the LV, and to test the pad/GSE/vibration), and an actual flight. Any hop seems like it needs a mass simulator, and the mass on top is ~1300t.

Looks like Vostok did actually complete a full circle though (the ground track moves), and had to retrofire to get down.

20 minutes ago, RCgothic said:

Looks like Vostok did actually complete a full circle though (the ground track moves), and had to retrofire to get down.

Vostok 1 was definitely in orbit. Without the de-orbit burn, it would have been in orbit for about 20 days (which would have killed Gagarin). 

But it's mildly questionable whether it completed an orbit. It did come down before making a complete orbit in terms of ground track, but because the Earth rotated, the ground moved. The craft did complete a full orbit in its own reference frame.

(The Soviets kept it secret that Gagarin had ejected from the capsule before landing, because under the FAI rules in place at the time that would have disqualified the flight from counting as a manned orbital flight.)

11 hours ago, Beccab said:

If everything goes fine with BN3 and soft water landing, I could see them attempt an actual landing or even booster catching with BN4

I doubt they try to catch BN4 with the tower, my guess is that they put legs on it. 
Always see the catch with tower as an future plan, they will need very high reliability and control to pull that off, hot gas trusters is pretty much required I think. 
Yes you save the weight of the legs but the main benefit is that its very fast to get it back on pad, you just rotate the arm rater than have to move an huge transporter over, lift it on to it with an crane, move it to pad and lift it back up. 

But yes you need to relivable land within say 2 meters to catch, that is measured at the grind fins not the bottom.  
My guess is that the catch will be F shaped on the side of the tower, this reduce taking out the tower and pad then you miss. 

6 hours ago, tater said:

Was thinking if maybe they could do some earlier prototyping using the trunk of Dragon... As I understand it SS refueling is to be done from the engine end, right ?

Edited by YNM

3 minutes ago, SpaceFace545 said:

Now we get to see if Starship actually works or if it was just a fluke.

I mean it's still a prototype and I would be impressed if it can just get up to the correct altitude and maybe hit the pad.

Getting to the top simulates getting to orbit sorta, so even if it fails to land the second time, it might not be fulfilling the goals of *starship* but it would be like getting to use a Saturn V twice.

Plus, there's been like what? two weeks of downtime? Even the fastest falcon refurbishments take just under two months. They also haven't done any engine swaps (from what I can tell), so that's a good indicator of Raptor advancement.

Edited by Spaceman.Spiff

34 minutes ago, SpaceFace545 said:

Do you not have any faith? Does anything that SpaceX does impress you? They are doing something that only sci-fi has been able to do. Politics, or competition made innovative companies rest on their laurels, and not do anything new and amazing. SpaceX will motivate humanity to innovate, to dream. This is why I want to move to Mars. To get away from people like this.

Meaningless rant.

Edited by GuessingEveryDay
Wrong tone.

20 minutes ago, SpaceFace545 said:

This is a nonsensical statement.

These SN Starships are test articles as part of an iterative process. If they gather data, they worked.