SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

54 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

If P2P works out then moving it further than a few miles would make more sense through flight. 

I think they will fly them pretty often, you don't need P2P working for it. 
Now even horizontally 9 meter is a lot making it a bit pointless for road transport, on an ship on the other hand it makes sense. 

32 minutes ago, SpaceFace545 said:

But that just adds more and more wear to the spacecraft.

Falcon 9s have already been reused 10 times and we haven't reached anything close to a point where complete refurbishment is needed. Starship is meant to be reused many more times than falcon 9

3 hours ago, SpaceFace545 said:

Do y'all think that starship or superheavy could be laid down horizontally for transport or storage? Cause moving these will get very cumbersome if they just collapse on their sides.

Given that starship pulls some Gs while horizontal on the belly flop it seems like holding it by the areo surfaces should be fine

3 minutes ago, SOXBLOX said:

Why don't they wash the booster? Or would that black stuff not come off? Is it discolored paint, or just soot?

It’s soot, but I think the soot is baked into the paint so simple pressure washing wouldn’t be too affective. The only way to fix it would be to strip and repaint the vehicle.

12 minutes ago, SOXBLOX said:

Why don't they wash the booster? Or would that black stuff not come off? Is it discolored paint, or just soot?

Soot from the RP-1 expended in the entry and landing burns.

7 minutes ago, SpaceFace545 said:

It’s soot, but I think the soot is baked into the paint so simple pressure washing wouldn’t be too affective. The only way to fix it would be to strip and repaint the vehicle.

Actually, the soot easily comes off, you can look at early recovered, reused boosters, and there are lines on them where they wiped the soot off to inspect the welds between flights.

In addition, a new astronaut tradition is to write their names in the soot with their fingers.

It's just gonna get dirty again, no need to wash it.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, SpaceFace545 said:

I feel like a layer of dust would affect the aerodynamics. It now has a rough surface that can cause micro turbulence.

They probably considered that but apparently it doesn't cause enough of a problem to bother washing those boosters after landing. And this way they can easily show "look, this booster had flown already" and if it is even sootier than "look, this booster had flown a lot"

3 hours ago, SOXBLOX said:

Maybe it's easy or maybe it's hard. I don't know, and I don't think it matters. The dirt gives it character, it's a badge of honor. 

It's not dirty because it's neglected, it's dirty because the damn thing has been to space. It has a right to be dirty. 

20 hours ago, SpaceFace545 said:

But that just adds more and more wear to the spacecraft.

Its a spacecraft though...this is like saying "I'll walk instead of putting 30 miles on my car." Like the entire point is to reuse them...they didn't just screw around.

3 minutes ago, Meecrob said:

Its a spacecraft though...this is like saying "I'll walk instead of putting 30 miles on my car." Like the entire point is to reuse them...they didn't just screw around.

Pointlessly flying them for the fun of flying them isn't the point. It also will cost a heck ton just to fly it for a short hop. 

29 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

What is GSEx? 

Ground Service Equipment.

Storage tanks instead of the little tanks they have used up til now.

29 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Also - BN2?  Let's Go! 

BN2 is BN3. That guy changed it because of an Elon tweet where he called it "booster 2."

They scrapped BN2, but the stuff stuck to the parts still says "BN3."