SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

27 minutes ago, ExtremeSquared said:

Falcon 9 flights are officially boring enough that there were no posts in this thread from launch to landing.

Ah! I missed it. My wife wanted to watch a movie

So F9 has now landed a booster as often as Atlas V has flown.

(I sorta spaced the timing since the webcast kept showing up kooky on their site)

4 hours ago, tater said:

They scrapped BN2, but the stuff stuck to the parts still says "BN3."

Actually, it's a frankenbooster of BN2 and BN3. Mostly BN3 but there are various BN2 parts as well

Edited by Beccab

On 6/5/2021 at 1:20 PM, tater said:

HIF_Discovery.jpg

You can see the lengthwise soot removal ^^^

I don’t know if that picture is typical of Falcon 9 boosters undergoing refurbishment, but it reminds me of the concept art for Shuttle maintenance, despite that the boosters do have parts removed. 

SpaceShuttleGroundProcessingVision.jpg

(And, just cause someone else would post this if I didn’t, here’s what the orbiter processing facility ended up looking like:)

Platforms_Around_Endeavour_In_Orbiter_Pr

23 hours ago, SpaceFace545 said:

Pointlessly flying them for the fun of flying them isn't the point. It also will cost a heck ton just to fly it for a short hop. 

I'm not saying take it for joyrides, but it may actually be cheaper to re-fuel it than go through whatever you'd have to do to put that thing on a barge...or let me say it this way: it will most likely be more expensive to fly back, but that gains time to fly missions and make money. Its kinda like how they transport jet engines by air. Its ridiculously expensive, but those engines cost more sitting on a skid in a cargo hold of a boat idle than flying paying passengers. I'm pretty sure Musk has said some figures about cost for fuel and it is surprisingly little...like a few hundred thousand dollars. I would love to hear a freight quote for a starship lol.

20 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

While Bezos is going to fly, Musk is not going to fly.

Sometimes it feels like Musk has a mortal fear of going to space, like he feels/knows that it will be his last ever trip,

at least that's how i perceive it when he answers if he will go to Mars or something like that.

Edited by Serenity

He said he would go to Mars iirc, just not on the first flight. Also, NS has been flying for what feels like 6 years now? It's been proven to be safe. That said, even with that head start I think a full stack SS+SH will have more flights by the end of the year than NS.

1 minute ago, .50calBMG said:

He said he would go to Mars iirc, just not on the first flight. 

I think he said/wants to go there to  pass his last days or rest in peace or something while pondering what he achieved.

Edited by Serenity

23 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

While Bezos is going to fly, Musk is not going to fly.

The 2 flights (Crew Dragon vs NS) are not een slightly comparable.

LOC events for NS are predicated mostly on parachute failure, or abort system failure combined with a RUD. Must be a substantially lower risk than orbital flights. Commercial crew is aimed at being at least 1:270 for crew death.

2 minutes ago, SpaceFace545 said:

God, that is the most narcistic statement I've ever heard.

There is no statement in that post, that would have "" around it.

The most I've heard him say (he's said it a few times) is "I'd like to die on Mars—just not on impact."

13 minutes ago, tater said:

There is no statement in that post, that would have "" around it.

The most I've heard him say (he's said it a few times) is "I'd like to die on Mars—just not on impact."

I think I've also heard him say he isn't going to risk himself on spaceflight lest the driving impetus to make life multi-planetary dies with him.

3 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Crew Dragon has flied, and is safe. Any objections get immediately laughed by SpaceX fans.
Seemingly no problem with having a short trip to ISS, it's not Mars.

It's as safe as the NASA specs required. No more than a calculated 1:270 chance of a loss of crew event.

I don't think anyone says more than that.

Edited by tater

1 hour ago, SpaceFace545 said:

God, that is the most narcistic statement I've ever heard.

Just to clarify i never said its his statement, its how i understand when he said would like to die on Mars.

And lastly, pondering what you achieved in your life in the place where it most represents it, if he actually builds a colony there is....narcistic???

I don't understand that, i mean i can understand jealously but, anyways.

Edited by Serenity

5 hours ago, RCgothic said:

I think I've also heard him say he isn't going to risk himself on spaceflight lest the driving impetus to make life multi-planetary dies with him.

Oh, yeah, he's the only one who ever wanted people to go to Mars. Guess I forgot how important he is.

I'll give him credit for spending a lot of his own money on this (although I kind of don't think anyone should have that much money in the first place).