SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

13 hours ago, SpaceFace545 said:

He completely avoided federal income taxes in 2018, I doubt he’s paid much since

Completely made up his rags to riches story, in fact his father owned a emerald mine

Freaked out and called a man a pedophile for not using his mini submarine

Tesla is one of the most dangerous working conditions in the US

won't let his workers unionize cause he’s too cheap to pay them living wages or give them benefits

Was very dominant and abusive to his first wife

Just to name a few from the top of my head. I am not saying this because he is rich, it’s because Elon Musk is truly an awful person.

Considering the disruptiveness of Musk and his companies, frankly I'd expect the guy to be long dead (especially if I had a proclivity to conspiracy theories). Instead, this is the list of transgressions that we are presented with? The dude must be an angel :lol:

Edited by Lukaszenko

18 hours ago, tater said:

I think Musk sounds most sincere about Mars when he talks about why, and he dumps the "backup for humanity" stuff. He tends to simply admit he wants to have humans be multiplanetary because it's the cool future he wants to inhabit.

I don't actually think it's more complex than that.

This is the goal of Bezos as well. He makes different public statements regarding making Earth a better, safer, cleaner place to live, but I actually think both of them just want to live in a cool sci fi world.

I'm happy there are people rich enough to be able to fund this privately, because any government model will never get there based on watching NASA closely for the last 3-4 decades.

You nail it pretty well i think. 
Also the fun of the real world version of KSP.  

5 hours ago, magnemoe said:

Also the fun of the real world version of KSP.  

Hehe, this.

Also, and I think this is critical, billionaires doing stuff in this arena "because they feel like it" (whatever their reasons) has no time horizon except their lifespan. Space agency funding is much more ephemeral, and on top of that is not designed to be efficient. Government space programs serve national aims for the countries that fund them. That includes geopolitics, and domestic politics, and the spaceflight goals are secondary. In countries where governments face elections, those aims can literally change on a dime.

17 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

They’re scrapping even the tiles on SN17, they must have no real shortage of them. And it’s about to get… cooking… 

When I saw this I first thought it meant they were making a bakery to go along with the cafe/coffee shop in a Starship to be built at Boca Chica that was discussed some time ago lol.

39 minutes ago, SunlitZelkova said:

When I saw this I first thought it meant they were making a bakery to go along with the cafe/coffee shop in a Starship to be built at Boca Chica that was discussed some time ago lol.

I mean, they COULD serve sizzling meals on the tiles. Gridfin waffles, maybe?

10 hours ago, tater said:

(looks like Bezos could have saved some time and just bought a ship like that)

That ship is very special in that its an semi submersible, it can get its waterline far above the deck.  This let you pick up stuff like the droneship without cranes.
Not the sort of ship you want to land rockets on, for one they are much more expensive than standard ships. 
Here something like an large supply ship used in the oil industry would be pretty perfect as they are good staying at place and have pretty clean rear cargo decks. 

18 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

Not the sort of ship you want to land rockets on, for one they are much more expensive than standard ships. 

I was thinking more of the shape. Seems like they could build one without the partially submersible aspect.

24 minutes ago, tater said:

I was thinking more of the shape. Seems like they could build one without the partially submersible aspect.

skandi_seven_subsea_vessel_01.5db3261927
Something like this should work, you can get versions whit longer decks. Benefit is that you could set up the rocket to come in from the rear. It also easier to armor the rear part even if I guess the crew would be deep inside the ship during landing

1 hour ago, Elthy said:

Is that the first time they used the vertical test stand? I only remember raptor being tested sideways...

They built that stand a while ago, and have been testing a lot of Raptors.

7 minutes ago, SpaceFace545 said:

Or you do what blue origin is doing :blush:

Buy a cheaper ship, then take it completely apart?

I mean maybe the lead time on a custom ship is long enough that what they are doing is faster, and maybe they want more freeboard. Who knows.

6 hours ago, GuessingEveryDay said:

How fun would it be if they just did it the other way, with the engine's plume going upward. 

Maybe that would be part of Congressman Gohmert's new plan to adjust Earth's orbit.

Spoiler

In all seriousness I think the typical issue with doing this is that you'd have weird accelerative gradients on the engine gimbal.

56 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Tallest structure in South Texas I believe.

If it's taller than everything in Houston or Dallas/Fort Worth then that's pretty crazy. But yeah that goes right.