SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

23 minutes ago, SpaceFace545 said:

If there was a fire then everyone would, the tunnels are absurdly narrow, I doubt you could open a car door or even evacuate the system.

From   https://www.boringcompany.com/loop :

LOOP SAFETY

Tesla Model S, 3, X, and Y have achieved NHTSA’s top rating of 5 stars and have the lowest probability of injury among all vehicles tested.

Loop has no internal touch hazards (e.g. a 600 volt third rail), enabling safe evacuation, minimizing potential fire sources, and eliminating any dangerous effects of (unlikely) water intrusion (Teslas can safely handle some rain). In the unlikely case that a fire does occur, the tunnel’s redundant, bidirectional ventilation system will remove the smoke to allow passengers to safely evacuate.

IMG_20210222_152813-2.jpg

MORE LOOP SAFETY

Loop tunnels are outfitted with emergency exits, fire detection systems, fire suppression systems, and a fire-rated first responder emergency communication system. The systems are tested frequently with local Police and Fire Departments.

Loop vehicles and passengers have direct communications to an Operational Control Center (manned 24/7) via Blue Light Stations, LTE cell service, and WiFi.

Loop tunnels are fully illuminated - and if an incident does occur, Loop has 100% camera coverage (no blind spots!)https://www.boringcompany.com/loop

Anyways, back to SpaceX: Aspirational date of July for orbital testing, huh? If that holds, I could be on vacation, not that I would have a hope of going. I'd be lucky not to be renovating, but it'd be nice to be able to watch live.

Edited by StrandedonEarth

1 hour ago, Dman979 said:

And on Google maps, at least, it looks like people live near there.

To say Google maps pix of the area are comically outdated is a comical understatement. :confused: They’re literally right in the middle of the production area:

Not sure what to think on this one. One one hand, they are still technically public roads. OTOH, no one from the public would have any legitimate business driving on them at this point, including a certain busybody no-nothing environmental group out to stir up trouble for its own ends. <_<

9 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Not sure what to think on this one. One one hand, they are still technically public roads. OTOH, no one from the public would have any legitimate business driving on them at this point, including a certain busybody no-nothing environmental group out to stir up trouble for its own ends. <_<

One of the nice things about public roads is that you don't need to have any reason for driving on them. And the lower portion of that picture appears to have houses that match up to the coordinates 25.990841235801284, -97.18425635326747.

9 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

As someone who has driven heavy stuff down roads...  I'm wondering what the ground pressure of their transport trailer is going to look like.  There's a reason NASA went with a crawler - and while I've seen lots of different ways of doing things since its inception - a vertical drive down the road looks risky.

This makes sense: mqdefault.jpg

...but this looks fraught: Boca-Chica-Starship-crawler-move-030819-

A configuration like the first image makes it unlikely to tip over and really spreads the load (preventing damage to the road, or getting the load tipping if the road partly collapses) - but the height over the base of the vertical alignment plus the greater ground pressure of having fewer wheels makes me hope someone has run the numbers on the road surface.

SpaxeX is using an modular heavy moving system for their heavy stuff, you probably seen stuff like this used for moving large buildings like churches. 
If needed you can couple two of them in parallel. 
However its just 2 kilometre something between the construction site and the pad and starship is 120 ton as I understand, heavy but not so much in heavy lift settings, its two M1 tanks. For superheavy I guess they need an longer or double mover as its far heavier. 

56 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

One of the nice things about public roads is that you don't need to have any reason for driving on them. And the lower portion of that picture appears to have houses that match up to the coordinates 25.990841235801284, -97.18425635326747.

So then the question is, why are such roads still open to the public, and is that still in the public's best interest? IIRC, SpaceX owns all of those houses now, only people living there are SpaceXers.

34 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

So then the question is, why are such roads still open to the public, and is that still in the public's best interest? IIRC, SpaceX owns all of those houses now, only people living there are SpaceXers.

While I don't know about who owns the houses, Section 251.051 of the Texas Transportation Code Title 6, Subtitle C sets various conditions for the closing, abandonment, and vacating of first- and second-class public roads. One of those requirements is a unanimous vote from the County Commissioners Court, and another is that the road must not have been used for more than three years.

Clearly, SpaceX is using the roads. Even if their use of the roads doesn't count towards the three-year minimum, members of the public are still trying to use the roads.

The roads could, of course, be third-class roads, but I don't have any information about that.

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/TN/htm/TN.251.htm

As to the question of whether continued use of the roads is still in the public's best interest- that's a question for the Cameron County Commissioners' Court.

Edited by Dman979
Added clarity.

Looks like SpaceX goofed up, and should have bought the roads from whatever public jurisdiction owns them.

Quite possibly that's all this lawsuit is about -- forcing to SpaceX to pay for public property that they are essentially using as their private property.

2 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Looks like SN16 is heading in the opposite direction to the launch site, most likely to the scrapyard.

This was the assumption, SN16 was never gonna fly after SN15 landed.

3 minutes ago, tater said:

This was the assumption, SN16 was never gonna fly after SN15 landed.

It wasn't *officially* confirmed until now at least, even if it was very unlikely. If they bring it to the scrapyard it's official it will never fly