SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

4 minutes ago, Flying dutchman said:

They should give it to a museum..

Transport would be non-trivial, possibly impossible.

Even on its side it cannot go on roads (too tall for underpasses and even for street lights).

6 minutes ago, tater said:

Transport would be non-trivial, possibly impossible.

Even on its side it cannot go on roads (too tall for underpasses and even for street lights).

Just hop it there, land it directly in the museum building /s

Just now, Flying dutchman said:

They got the Saturn v to a museum right? 

They were mostly transported by water. The Saturn Vs are 1 in Huntsville, 1 at JSC, 1 at KSC.

Parts are at other places including Stennis.

Also, Saturn Vs actually did something worthy of a museum.

1 minute ago, tater said:

Also, Saturn Vs actually did something worthy of a museum.

^ This, all SN16 did was sit in the highbay taking up space.

SN15 is a slightly better candidate for a museum piece, but it would have the same transportation issues, and seems to be on display at Starbase already anyway.

12 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

^ This, all SN16 did was sit in the highbay taking up space.

SN15 is a slightly better candidate for a museum piece, but it would have the same transportation issues, and seems to be on display at Starbase already anyway.

SN15 really isn’t museum worthy either, just a tank with a rocket strapped to it. Maybe if starship ever does anything groundbreaking like Saturn V did then we may see it as a museum piece.

2 minutes ago, SpaceFace545 said:

SN15 really isn’t museum worthy either, just a tank with a rocket strapped to it. Maybe if starship ever does anything groundbreaking like Saturn V did then we may see it as a museum piece.

Well, it did prove that the flip and landing maneuver worked. But in terms of SpaceX's goals for Starship, it was only the first step. So yeah, the first Starship to land on the Moon and return (or something like that) would be a better fit for a museum.

But, technically, Saturn V was a tank with a rocket strapped to it as well ^_^

4 minutes ago, Brotoro said:

Hmm. Did I read somewhere that all of the central engines of the Super Heavy gimbal together? If so, how does it do roll control?

I think when Elon said that they all gimbal together, he simply means that they all gimbal while the outer ring of engines don't. They should still allow roll control.

1 hour ago, RealKerbal3x said:

I think when Elon said that they all gimbal together, he simply means that they all gimbal while the outer ring of engines don't. They should still allow roll control.

Yes, for the burn back they want to fire all engines at maximum gimbal  as you want the burnback as fast as possible during the turning as every second wasted is more dV for burnback. 
Now they might not be able to do this because g-force or shear load, all engines are individual controlled. I assume it will be some overlap so you might need to move inactive engines if you need an high gimbal burn 

8 hours ago, tater said:

All launch vehicles are tanks with rocket engines stuck to them, lol.

SN15 is worthy of museum status for SpaceX, but no one else. It's historical for them.

I mean, i'd also quite like to see the dcx on display somewhere (if it stille existed), that didn't go to the moon or anything either. But i guess i'm Just more easily impressed than you guys..

But then again, where i live we hardly have ANY rockets on display.. 

Edited by Flying dutchman

10 minutes ago, Flying dutchman said:

But then again, where i live we hardly have ANY rockets on display.

I live in a country that doesn't have any launch sites nor any rocket (despite having launched modules to the ISS), so I definitely agree there

8 minutes ago, Flying dutchman said:

I mean, i'd also quite like to see the dcx on display somewhere (if it stille existed), that didn't go to the moon or anything either...

I've seen what's left of the DC-X at the New Mexico Museum of Space History Restoration Center. They said they were working on some restoration to make a display, but that was many years ago, and I don't know what they've accomplished.

1 hour ago, Brotoro said:

I've seen what's left of the DC-X at the New Mexico Museum of Space History Restoration Center. They said they were working on some restoration to make a display, but that was many years ago, and I don't know what they've accomplished.

I haven't been down there in a while. Honestly, if SS/SH gets stacked, Alamogordo is sorta OTW to Boca Chica, maybe I'll stop.

Yikes, 15 hour drive.

11 hours ago, tater said:

All launch vehicles are tanks with rocket engines stuck to them, lol.

SN15 is worthy of museum status for SpaceX, but no one else. It's historical for them.

I disagree with this. There are plenty of objects in aerospace museums that didn't actually do much for people, but are still historically important.

The Museum of Flight in Seattle has the first 747 ever built. It flew zero commercial flights and served as a testbed. But it is still historically important, and resides in a "public" museum. It fits there much more than in a warehouse managed by the likes of Boeing.

That said, transporting SN15 to a museum would be difficult. Would it be possible to disassemble it and then airlift the sections by helicopter (slung load or whatever it is called)? Other large historical craft (Spruce Goose) have been disassembled for transport before, so that aspect would not compromise the artifact.

Not that all of this would be necessary immediately or anything. But just as the Museum of Flight (in Seattle) likely prefers the first 747 rather than the 1000th 747 off the line or whatever, SN15 has historical value as the first Starship prototype to land intact, and although it is a bit fresh right now, some day at least, a museum would be glad to have it.

41 minutes ago, SunlitZelkova said:

I disagree with this. There are plenty of objects in aerospace museums that didn't actually do much for people, but are still historically important.

The Museum of Flight in Seattle has the first 747 ever built. It flew zero commercial flights and served as a testbed. But it is still historically important, and resides in a "public" museum. It fits there much more than in a warehouse managed by the likes of Boeing.

That said, transporting SN15 to a museum would be difficult. Would it be possible to disassemble it and then airlift the sections by helicopter (slung load or whatever it is called)? Other large historical craft (Spruce Goose) have been disassembled for transport before, so that aspect would not compromise the artifact.

Not that all of this would be necessary immediately or anything. But just as the Museum of Flight (in Seattle) likely prefers the first 747 rather than the 1000th 747 off the line or whatever, SN15 has historical value as the first Starship prototype to land intact, and although it is a bit fresh right now, some day at least, a museum would be glad to have it.

This is true, however its likely that we will get future starships who returned from orbit but will not be used for future missions, say damage to heat shield heated the steel below so it become degraded if this happens near say the common dome I can easy see it getting retired