SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

58 minutes ago, cubinator said:

Think about how much we were freaking out over seeing something like that back in 2016. Now we get it every time!

True.

I'm not sure I will forget, watching in real time, the first double side-by-side landing of the Falcon Heavy side boosters. A bunch of my airplane engineer colleagues gathered around my desk at the office (remember the office? I don't miss commuting....) and watched it live on my monitor.

26 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

True.

I'm not sure I will forget, watching in real time, the first double side-by-side landing of the Falcon Heavy side boosters. A bunch of my airplane engineer colleagues gathered around my desk at the office (remember the office? I don't miss commuting....) and watched it live on my monitor.

And so it will be watching Starship go to the Moon and return to Earth, and watching people step onto the Moon again, and going to Mars...

If SN20 is a 'major technology rev' - do we have any idea what those changes might be?

Or are we likely to see them 'repeat the cycle' of testing SH several iterations of fly and RUD before they mate a SS to a SH and try for a landing?  Seems to me that they could at least throw SN16 into the air atop one of the later (3d/4th) SH attempts and see if there is anything to be learned from a controlled splash into the ocean attempt. 

Or are they likely to think that there's enough iterative change to SN 20 that doing anything with SN16 is a waste of time, money and resources?

3 hours ago, Ignath said:

That was an AMAZING shot of the landing side-by-side!

There was an unusual rapid oscillation going on after the start of the landing burn. You could see the drone ship come into view by the left grid fin, and the quick re-targeting maneuver. I think this may be the first time I've noticed the reflection of the rocket flame from (what I assume is) water on the deck. The landings in sunlight with the booster shadow in the right direction are nice because it helps gauge the altitude of the booster as it lands. And they did very well keeping the video signal from the drone ship this time. An excellent landing!