SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

11 hours ago, Beccab said:

S20 heat shield nearly complete, the tip is now done and, against all odds, it's not a single piece@sevenperforce

It looks like they have a buckeyball configuration for the very tip. 

I'm really curious what the black COPVs on the outside of BN4 are. Especially since we know they are doing attitude control via propulsive vent.

EDIT: According to SNF, the eight COPVs contain high-press GOX and methane for startup and tank press.

Edited by sevenperforce

Probably spacex thought we were starting to get less confused about the naming scheme, so they are now trying to confuse us with the colour scheme.

Unfortunately there seems to be thunders at Starbase atm, so B4 lifting may get delayed a bit

Of course Elon has the best shots.

Here's a closeup showing how the clamps will be oriented with respect to the booster skirt.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=54439.0;

Presumably the engines that are white inside have never been fired. Or at least the nozzle. It's possible that the engines have been fired but the bell was replaced.

44 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Of course Elon has the best shots.

Here's a closeup showing how the clamps will be oriented with respect to the booster skirt.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=54439.0;

Presumably the engines that are white inside have never been fired. Or at least the nozzle. It's possible that the engines have been fired but the bell was replaced.

Asked and answered:

10 minutes ago, Lewie said:

I just realized....

Ship 20

Booster 4

Nice one, Elon!

Lol welcome to about 4 months ago :sticktongue:

there’s a reason he wants it all stacked on the pad even if it doesn’t get lit up 

43 minutes ago, Jaff said:

Nah bro, it’s not obvious to those who don’t treat the 20th of April like Christmas to be fair 

But I do! (I’m just slow on the uptake...gonna blame it on when I hit my head)

2 minutes ago, Dfthu said:

Hate to be that guy but when are expecting a full test fire and then orbital flight? All of this is moving incredibly fast.

I'm pretty sure Elon-time still says August. So, maybe October lol.

Just now, Minmus Taster said:

They might not actually complete the tiling because they might not actually want it to survive reentry.

They definitely will, it doesn't impact anything and will provide a whole lot more of essential data this way. We already know the basic flight plan, which ends with the soft landing of starship if it is able to survive