SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

4 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

Wait... what is that? My first thought is a heat-shell, but I don't know if that would be too complex. Or is it a tool of some sort?

Also, those Tesla bots might be useful for the first Mars missions

It's a nosecone for a future starship as far as we know, perhaps S24/25. Musk showed already a smoother nosecone being built in the tents as their manufacturing process improves, this is that one or maybe even smoother

Edited by Beccab

4 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

Wait... what is that? My first thought is a heat-shell, but I don't know if that would be too complex. Or is it a tool of some sort?

Also, those Tesla bots might be useful for the first Mars missions

In the EDA tour part 2, elon explains that it's a prototype of a new approach to nose cone construction. Something about stretching sections over a mould? Then welding these staves into a nose cone barrel.

The LR 11000 has returned to the orbital launch pad and been attached to the cryo tank load spreader, which indicates soon they will lift one of those to cover GSE-6, see this diagram:
E88e9xnVEAM89Yb?format=jpg&name=4096x409
GSE-1 and 2 are still being worked on to solve the problems that led to GSE-4 being scrapped, so that's the only one

11 hours ago, Rakaydos said:

In the EDA tour part 2, elon explains that it's a prototype of a new approach to nose cone construction. Something about stretching sections over a mould? Then welding these staves into a nose cone barrel.

Yes, as its an simple geometric shape so it works out. 
I was first confused by the cherry picker basket as the joint to the arm is the same color as the inside of the roof :) 

10 hours ago, Beccab said:

The LR 11000 has returned to the orbital launch pad and been attached to the cryo tank load spreader, which indicates soon they will lift one of those to cover GSE-6, see this diagram:
E88e9xnVEAM89Yb?format=jpg&name=4096x409
GSE-1 and 2 are still being worked on to solve the problems that led to GSE-4 being scrapped, so that's the only one

Fast guess, the mystery tank is for CH4 gas. 

And soo much LN2, I wonder if they will use it for cooling during launch and static fire? Benefit is that its cryogenic, its also free as they get it making LOX.

Got my Dishy up & working today! :D Some “real world” observations:

Spoiler

Setup is, indeed, stupidly easy. If you’re just using the included Starlink wifi router, which kind of stinks. Took a few minutes for the connection to “settle” into something usable, first speed test I got 60mbs download, second 130:

FNL9iuZ.jpg

6i0sKlV.jpg

It’s very temporarily “installed” on a table on my back porch, in a pretty horrible location for obstructions. The dish comes with 100’ of Ethernet cable permanently installed, seems pretty stout and durable for outdoor use, as it should. I also ordered a simple pole mount I’ll switch to once I find a permanent spot, that’s kind of an impressive bit. Very heavy steel with a very thick powdercoat, and also dead simple: it slides over the end of a wood/metal pole, is secured with set screws, then the dish just latches in on top. Even comes with a couple dozen screw-in cable clips  

So, crummy location aside, we were able to watch en episode of Loki just fine with no buffering or freezing (which is more than I can say for Comcast :mad:) through the included router. The WiFi signal seems pretty weak, it was showing red in the Starlink app just like 20 feet and a wall & a half away, but worked fine. Then I tried to integrate Dishy into the existing network… :wacko: First tried plugging my Linksys router into the aux port on the Starlink router, and all hell broke loose. Got everything patched back together but I’m now reminded of which devices on my net do not have static IPs which are supposed to, so now nothing else can find them. :P Problem for later.

Solution was just to plug the Dishy directly into my existing router like a modem. Unfortunately, this doesn’t seem to be as seamless as I’d hoped, as it looks like I’ll have to reboot the router each time I need to switch between Starlink and Comcast. Was hoping it would be just a simple cable swap so I could use an A/B switch. Anyways, downside is that without the Starlink router I can’t connect with the app to get this handy stats page:

8DRsJD3.jpg

As you can see, it’s listing a fair amount of outages, on the order of every couple of minutes for a few seconds. Now, in practice, I haven’t noticed at all so far. This was during that streaming episode, you can see the throughput there too. Running random speedtests the last couple hours I’ve seen burst speeds approaching 200mbs, or down as low as 40-ish. So far, pretty on-par with what I get from Comcast. When it works. IIRC, there are ways to integrate the Starlink router to still get this page, will have to research that next.

Anyone going to talk about the Liebherr LR 11350-P1800 "Frankencrane" at the SpaceX launch site?liebherr-lr-11350-working-position-londo

e5hl72ikbh471.jpghttps://www.liebherr.com/en/usa/products/mobile-and-crawler-cranes/crawler-cranes/lr-crawler-cranes/lr-11350.html

It's Liebherr's second largest crawler crane (Their first largest, also the world's largest conventional crawler crane, is the LR 13000. I think the largest unconventional or whatever crawler crane is either a Sany or XCMG-But that doesn't matter right now.)

Ahh, cranes are undeniably awesome. Even the smaller and non-Liebherr ones.