SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

1 hour ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Possums, are, by the way the most successful mammal in America - as far as I can tell.

If only in America. Sometimes they range pretty far out.

Spoiler

1821441_original.png

8 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

Just as a reminder, the way this discussion got (re-)started is that a poster here made a dismissive comment about "NIMBY environmentalists".

I clarified my position already, but let me do it again: I used that term very specifically, to refer to a very specific subset of people: those for whom SpaceX can do no right, for whom it's mere existence is an affront not to be tolerated, largely because of its ties to Elon Musk. There is literally nothing SpaceX could do to please such people short of-maybe-completely disbanding, liquifying its assets and distributing them to some group or another, after, of course, completely un-making every construct it's made. For such people, rockets are bad, and civilization is bad, because humans are bad. The same kind of people who love to harp on Tesla for this or that, completely dismissing that actual good they're doing for the environment, because humans are bad. Based on all the information I've seen, everywhere, Spacex (and Tesla) is doing it's realistic best to be a good neighbor. Is it perfect? Of course not. There is no perfect. The perfect is the enemy of the good enough.  I've come to look on a great number of "environmentalists" with great cynicism, as if one pokes their motivations just a little, once finds them laced with, shall we say, conflicts of interest. Yes, my opinion on the matters at hand is absolutely biased, but remember, so is yours. 

6 minutes ago, Beccab said:
I... I don't even know what to say

"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with..." well, you know... :P

37 minutes ago, DDE said:

Shots fired

He didn't even dignify Bezos by spelling his name right (You can't tell me that was a mistake, Elon).

That's cold man... especially given some of the definitions I saw for besos.

Not saying it's Elon's intention... but if so he's being subtle about it.

I will give him the benefit of the doubt and assume it was a typo..... always hope for the best in people they say!

Edited by Spacescifi

24 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Yeah - there's no need for him to even engage.

I will say it is my suspicion that Musk sees Bezos has a plaything to be toyed with. Musk is no saint, but he clearly doesn’t care how much money Bezos has. Why not poke the angry little dog nipping at your heels?

57 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

I will say it is my suspicion that Musk sees Bezos has a plaything to be toyed with. Musk is no saint, but he clearly doesn’t care how much money Bezos has. Why not poke the angry little dog nipping at your heels?

It's a bad look all around. 

'Don't get down and waller with the pigs... The pig likes it - and all you git is covered in stink"

* phrasing altered for this board

1 hour ago, sevenperforce said:

but then the very powerful angry little dog wins the lawsuit and you end up screwed over

11 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

I clarified my position already, but let me do it again: I used that term very specifically, to refer to a very specific subset of people: those for whom SpaceX can do no right, for whom it's mere existence is an affront not to be tolerated, largely because of its ties to Elon Musk. There is literally nothing SpaceX could do to please such people short of-maybe-completely disbanding, liquifying its assets and distributing them to some group or another, after, of course, completely un-making every construct it's made. For such people, rockets are bad, and civilization is bad, because humans are bad. The same kind of people who love to harp on Tesla for this or that, completely dismissing that actual good they're doing for the environment, because humans are bad. Based on all the information I've seen, everywhere, Spacex (and Tesla) is doing it's realistic best to be a good neighbor. Is it perfect? Of course not. There is no perfect. The perfect is the enemy of the good enough.  I've come to look on a great number of "environmentalists" with great cynicism, as if one pokes their motivations just a little, once finds them laced with, shall we say, conflicts of interest. Yes, my opinion on the matters at hand is absolutely biased, but remember, so is yours. 

"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with..." well, you know... :P

You can't just dismiss valid criticism by labeling it as invalid criticism.

Well, OK, you actually can do this. But that doesn't make it correct.

5 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Which part takes 4 years to build, I wonder 

I'm not certain what you are referring to, but I guess it is long lead items?

It's not necessary for a part to take many years to build in order for it to be a long lead part. It might be that the capacity to make such parts is limited, or that a sub-assembly is very complicated and contains many parts that need to be coordinated long in advance, or that a part needs to be extensively tested before it can be approved for use, or even that a part is so expensive or so customized it can only be built to order, rather than being built on spec under the assumption that it will get used by somebody.

Another common reason for long-lead parts is that some parts have the be built before other parts. Maybe they need to be custom-fitted. Or for whatever reason, part of the manufacturing of one part need to have the other part available. If you then work backward you might find that certain parts need to be built years before the final product is sold, but that doesn't mean it takes all that time to build that long-lead part.