SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

1 hour ago, mikegarrison said:

Things KSP gets right:

• Docking is slow and tedious, and you really want to just time warp through as much of it as possible.

Is KSP docking ten or one hundred times as fast as real life?  On the one hand the countdown is timed for a straight shot to the ISS (and computer controlled for the right trajectory), but on the other hand the relative velocity of docking is measured in cm/s.

6 minutes ago, wumpus said:

Is KSP docking ten or one hundred times as fast as real life?  On the one hand the countdown is timed for a straight shot to the ISS (and computer controlled for the right trajectory), but on the other hand the relative velocity of docking is measured in cm/s.

There are no quicksaves IRL.

5 minutes ago, wumpus said:

That is what happens when you shave off every excess ounce of mass instead of using battleship armor plates to make your fuel tanks. 

16 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

And I usually do worse! I time it so on ascent I'll get a super close suborbital approach, and the relative velocity sometimes gets over 500m/s.

I suck at orbital timing, and often play without the tracking station enabled. Phasing orbit to get within 10 KM, 100m/s closing, walking in the intercept with angled retro thrust, zero out within 100m, then lock a docking port, get a good angle, approach at 5m/s and walk in in with thrust limited main engines, tapping the throttle during the bounce to ensure a connection.

21 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

And I usually do worse! I time it so on ascent I'll get a super close suborbital approach, and the relative velocity sometimes gets over 500m/s.

Holy cow!!! That would be wicked to see irl!

I find it best just to launch into a slightly power orbit (5km less) and just wait. (Thank the kraken fir better timewarp!) I usually end up within 5-10 km without doing any burns except my orbital insertion, and very minor target/anti-target burns are required. 

1 hour ago, Beccab said:

That's definitely one of the most likely use imo, they already have SPMTs for everything at boca already. That, or a crane needs replacement parts

My guess is that the crane is rented and that spaceX is buying an crane for themselves seeing they need it for lifting stuff up on test stands and perhaps helping getting an booster down from the clawzila. 

Its not the tank treads on top of the arms its way to overbuild for that, the rotate and move treads don't need to be thick for one. 

34 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

My guess is that the crane is rented and that spaceX is buying an crane for themselves seeing they need it for lifting stuff up on test stands and perhaps helping getting an booster down from the clawzila. 

Its not the tank treads on top of the arms its way to overbuild for that, the rotate and move treads don't need to be thick for one. 

...Overbuild for possibly a 200 ton booster to misjudge landing velocity?