SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

4 minutes ago, cubinator said:

I've got class at liftoff. :/ Won't stop me from pulling it up on mute, though.

About that, anyone has any idea on how early in the window they will want to launch? I will miss at least the first 40 minutes of the launch window :0.0:

2 minutes ago, cubinator said:

ISS emergency rescue availability? (Yes, I know there is basically no situation where this would be better than deorbiting the Dragon outright)

Well, there could be a thermonuclear war on earth. In that case the ISS would be much better than returning and not getting rescued

8 minutes ago, Beccab said:

Well, there could be a thermonuclear war on earth. In that case the ISS would be much better than returning and not getting rescued

Not really, since without resupply ISS would run out of consumables and also de-orbit.

I wonder if the timing was set up to try to give them a chance of seeing the ISS from their little dome.

2 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

In an emergency, the IVA suits might suffice for a short transit to the airlock, but there are probably a number of other hurdles that make that impractical if not impossible.

While 4 people could be inside the Quest airlock, 4 people untrained in EVA would have to depressurize Dragon, then somehow egress to Quest rapidly. Seems exceedingly unlikely. That's aside from the fact that they would have to have the dv to rendezvous and dock with ISS from their orbit. What failure would result in this being a desirable consideration? Rendezvous and docking would probably take a couple days or more even assuming it is possible.

10 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

Not really, since without resupply ISS would run out of consumables and also de-orbit.

I wonder if the timing was set up to try to give them a chance of seeing the ISS from their little dome.

That seems likely, after all inspiration 4 quite literally doesn't have a window, only what NOTAMs and weather allows

6 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

In an emergency, the IVA suits might suffice for a short transit to the airlock, but there are probably a number of other hurdles that make that impractical if not impossible.

I imagine movement or even seeing would be hard enough to be impossible, but perhaps if someone with an EVA suit from the ISS is fast enough and grabs them to an ISS airlock maybe?

6 minutes ago, RCgothic said:

I was actually surprised that Inspiration 4 was even in the same inclination as the ISS, but I guess it makes sense for pre-programmed ascent abort corridors and such.

Yeah, this actually makes sense. It removes a variable.

2 minutes ago, tater said:

Yeah, this actually makes sense. It removes a variable.

Yeah, this is also possible. The Dragon is generally used to go to the ISS, so probably all the software and such expects it will be launched into that plane.

I assume they will be planning the mission to (as much as possible) avoid flying through the South Atlantic Anomaly. I'm not sure they can completely avoid it, though.

Aw man....I have work tonight, done at 8:15...gonna miss the first hour of the window:mad:

I really don’t want to miss this.....

heck, I’m gonna make a deal with myself. If I miss the launch, I have to donate my day’s wages to St. Jude. If I don’t miss it, I’ll donate my day’s wages. 

Edited by Lewie

2 hours ago, tater said:

E_VTZqBXIBEx-4f?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Question, I assume the SH come in straight from the left here, so any fail will not hit the pad or tower. 
If so I would rotate this 90 degree around A having the tower structure  center on the bottom part of drawing of tower extending out left and right leaving top for the quick disconnect and other systems. 
Catching is hard, putting it on pad is easy. I also assume two struts and an hinge between A and the arms as it let you rotate more. 

18 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

Yeah, this is also possible. The Dragon is generally used to go to the ISS, so probably all the software and such expects it will be launched into that plane.

I assume they will be planning the mission to (as much as possible) avoid flying through the South Atlantic Anomaly. I'm not sure they can completely avoid it, though.

Plus the contingency plans regarding aborts. They know the waters where they will have to go, have assets in place to get crew, etc. If they launched into a novel plane, they need to preposition assets, and they might simply not have any in the needed region.

20 minutes ago, tater said:
28 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

While 4 people could be inside the Quest airlock, 4 people untrained in EVA would have to depressurize Dragon, then somehow egress to Quest rapidly. Seems exceedingly unlikely.

Why use Quest with emergency suits?
It's required to denitrogenize blood before using the heavy working suits which use a low-nitro gas mixture to be lighter.
But the emergency suits probably contain the normal air, like in ships and station, unlikely they they need any camp-out procedures.

1 minute ago, mikegarrison said:

I assume the plan is that the Dragon is its own lifeboat, and that if something really serious goes wrong, the only option is an emergency de-orbit.

Yep, it also can remain about a week in orbit for this mission in case something prevents reentry

1 hour ago, Beccab said:

Yep, it also can remain about a week in orbit for this mission in case something prevents reentry

Yes, if something goes so wrong you can not deorbit you will not be able to dock unless its damage to the heat shield who is unlikely as its protected by the trunk. Its also lots of stuff in the bottom who is not needed once you hit the atmosphere.