SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

2 hours ago, GuessingEveryDay said:

It's time to play "WWISTDP?!" (Which Way is the Dragon Pointing™️)

Fiery end down, as usual

2 hours ago, GuessingEveryDay said:

It's time to play "WWISTDP?!" (Which Way is the Dragon Pointing™️)

Fiery end down, as usual, but in this case the fiery end will be pointing in the direction of travel 

9 hours ago, zolotiyeruki said:

I love the fact that Dragon has red and green navigation lights, just like an airplane.

Just a cosplay of Soyuz

Spoiler

278908_7_doc2fb_image_0300000D.png

(#10  on the scheme, green зелёный, red красный, two whites белый).

Edited by kerbiloid

And this didn't help Soyuz-3 which was trying to dock Soyuz-2 at the night side, being overturned, until spent the safe amount of fuel and had to return.

So, they are mostly becauze colored lights look nice.

Edited by kerbiloid

7 hours ago, Beccab said:

That looks like one of those screw rods that allows pretty precise alignment of the shuttle along the length of the rod. 

With small, light stuff that's not a problem - but if it's heavy and mechanical I'd be worried about binding if it's supporting /pushing something heavy 

8 hours ago, magnemoe said:

Doubt the lights is related to airplane regulations, most likely its to visually confirm orientation then docking. 

The regulation regarding lights on aircraft is to make it so one can visually confirm orientation at night.

2 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

That looks like one of those screw rods that allows pretty precise alignment of the shuttle along the length of the rod. 

With small, light stuff that's not a problem - but if it's heavy and mechanical I'd be worried about binding if it's supporting /pushing something heavy 

Derp.

I just learned a new phrase: "Linear Actuator"

SMH

3 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

The "shuttle" is usually supported by a separate rail, so that the screw sees no radial load, only axial.

5 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Dear Space X,

Your Boat Naming Scheme is more interesting than your Dragon Capsule Names.

Please quit letting committees put bland, previously used names on these.

Consider "Falling with Style" for Dragon 5?

Joe

The "committee" in question is the first crew. You want a better name, buy a new-build Dragon capsule flight and name it yourself.

8 minutes ago, Rakaydos said:

The "committee" in question is the first crew. You want a better name, buy a new-build Dragon capsule flight and name it yourself.

This^, crew dragons are named by the first crew to fly on it. If you don't like endurance blame it on Expedition 67

53 minutes ago, Rakaydos said:

Fine - let's start a go fundme so I can be the first person taller than 6'4" into space - we need to push back against the tyranny of the short! 

THEN we can have a ship named 'Falling With Style "

22 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Fine - let's start a go fundme so I can be the first person taller than 6'4" into space - we need to push back against the tyranny of the short! 

THEN we can have a ship named 'Falling With Style "

There are definitely some people I would fund to go into space, as long as they promised never to return.