SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

21 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Groan.

Anyone think landing that WB-57F in a crosswind looks... fraught?

I know a guy who used to fly them (RB-57F) USAF) before he became a doctor. He's retired now, but at my wife's medical meetings I sometimes hang with him and listen to airplane stories. He said they had to suit up the same as the SR-71 guys, and used the same bases often.

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2021/10/ship-20-static-fire-new-raptor-2-fa,ctory/

Mayor new info:

- The new Raptor factory at McGregor is going up (Pic in article):

Article_1011-768x432.jpg

- S20 is scheduled to be static fired this week. 

- Specific engines have been assigned for S20's orbital fight

- Booster 4 static fire test campaign NET November

- McGregor's test stands are being prepped for Raptor 2 testing

22 hours ago, Beccab said:

- In August when it was published it was targeting March 2021 as a reentry observation opportunity.

I think the March 2022 (not '21) date is not because of the first orbital flight of starship, but that they expect to be ready for real live testing of their calibrated camera by then.

LOL, just the few connected buildings look to be over 100 acres. And looking at the sat map, there are other pretty huge buildings as well. Gotta be way more area under climate control there than total land area at Starbase.

27 minutes ago, tater said:

LOL, just the few connected buildings look to be over 100 acres. And looking at the sat map, there are other pretty huge buildings as well. Gotta be way more area under climate control there than total land area at Starbase.

Yes, the building footprint is about 100 acres (about 400,000 m^2). How big is Starbase?

(OK, Wikipedia says Starbase is about 100 acres. So yeah, just the factory building is about the same area as all of Starbase.)

Edited by mikegarrison