SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

4 hours ago, AtomicTech said:

Stupid Idea: Is the U.S. Government delaying Starship on purpose so that the SLS can fly first?

The US government has proven itself to not be capable of a conspiracy such as that.

2 minutes ago, tater said:

Musk mentioned disposable Starships who drops fairing and skirt for unmanned interplanetary missions. Fun stuff like Europa and Pluto sample returns :) 
Now I say keep the skirt as you want to top up Starship before launching. And yes here I would want an 3rd stage with a vacuum raptor and balloon tanks who is filled in orbit. 

Starship takes the falcon 9 heavy upper stage to 11. You don't want an 40 ton try mass weight rocket to push an 2-4 ton probe as hard as it can. 
You want an lower dry man 3rd stage who also let you recover starship with minimal performance loss as it will burn out before gto trying to push the 300 ton loaded 3rd stage. 

18 hours ago, Meecrob said:

The US government has proven itself to not be capable of a conspiracy such as that.

The US congress [especially the Senate] put plenty of road blocks in front of commercial crew (in the words of Scott Manley "played silly buggers") to get SLS to launch before commercial crew.  They failed.  Granted, Starliner won't deliver NASA crew before 2023, but it didn't stop Dragon.  I suspect Starliner will still beat SLS, but either way it is all up to Boeing.

10 minutes ago, wumpus said:

The US congress [especially the Senate] put plenty of road blocks in front of commercial crew (in the words of Scott Manley "played silly buggers") to get SLS to launch before commercial crew.  They failed.  Granted, Starliner won't deliver NASA crew before 2023, but it didn't stop Dragon.  I suspect Starliner will still beat SLS, but either way it is all up to Boeing.

Boeing could still surprise everyone

1 hour ago, tater said:

Can someone run through the math of this for me?  That's a humongous difference in payload to orbit.  I understand that disposable SS would not need heat shield tiles, fins of any sort, or fuel for deorbit and landing, plus fuel to get those things to orbit.  Does all that add up to 100 tons worth of savings?

11 minutes ago, zolotiyeruki said:

Can someone run through the math of this for me?  That's a humongous difference in payload to orbit.  I understand that disposable SS would not need heat shield tiles, fins of any sort, or fuel for deorbit and landing, plus fuel to get those things to orbit.  Does all that add up to 100 tons worth of savings?

F9 RTLS costs 40% of payload to LEO.

60% of 250 is 150.

Looks like it's basically Falcon 9 math.

I sat in the FAA public comment hearing earlier tonight for four hours, only to have them end the session before I got a chance to speak. Admittedly I was able to do other stuff while I waited (and some people's comments were... entertaining in and of themselves), so it wasn't too deadening.

1 hour ago, Silavite said:

I sat in the FAA public comment hearing earlier tonight for four hours, only to have them end the session before I got a chance to speak. Admittedly I was able to do other stuff while I waited (and some people's comments were... entertaining in and of themselves), so it wasn't too deadening.

Michael Sheets is I think the only one who made a complete thread of the questions made today, they were over 100 definitely. Thread begins here and continues for a loooong series of comments

Quoting what another commentator said on r/spacex about the hearing:

"My two cents after the two hearings...

SpaceX will get the green light with a Mitigated FONSI. 99% of the against arguments were filled with either conspiracy theories or facts that were intentionally misinterpreted and misquoted to fit their narrative. Others were just angry at Elon. If that was the theme at these hearings, it's most likely the same story with the emails.

Maybe the FAA will take a few months to make sure all the i's are dotted and the t's crossed but I do not think for one second an EIS will be requested. The FAA knows what it's doing."

Edited by Beccab

10 hours ago, Beccab said:

Michael Sheets is I think the only one who made a complete thread of the questions made today, they were over 100 definitely. Thread begins here and continues for a loooong series of comments

Quoting what another commentator said on r/spacex about the hearing:

"My two cents after the two hearings...

SpaceX will get the green light with a Mitigated FONSI. 99% of the against arguments were filled with either conspiracy theories or facts that were intentionally misinterpreted and misquoted to fit their narrative. Others were just angry at Elon. If that was the theme at these hearings, it's most likely the same story with the emails.

Maybe the FAA will take a few months to make sure all the i's are dotted and the t's crossed but I do not think for one second an EIS will be requested. The FAA knows what it's doing."

Can you point me in the way of the arguments against Starbase? I'd love to see them!

2 minutes ago, AtomicTech said:

Can you point me in the way of the arguments against Starbase? I'd love to see them!

(shameless self promotion from a youtuber notorious for lying for views and controversy, lol)

(Sierra Club = face of SaveRGV)

Reading about the public hearing, I'm not understand, how the rocket launch site related to racism? Or in American English "racism" have some meaning that's I don't known? Some that's point out at 2014 IEA is pretty reasonable, even one about road and beach closure is weak argument but kinda understandable.

Edited by derega16

55 minutes ago, derega16 said:

Reading about the public hearing, I'm not understand, how the rocket launch site related to racism? Or in American English "racism" have some meaning that's I don't known? Some that's point out at 2014 IEA is pretty reasonable, even one about road and beach closure is weak argument but kinda understandable.

"Enviromental racisim" = minorities are forced to live (via economic pressure, redlining, gentrification, whatever) in places most affected by climate change.

Edited by Rakaydos