SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

4 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

I can't help but wonder what von Braun would think of such a scene. More so, what he would think of seeing it operational...

“It’s about darn time!” and “I’m so happy this generation of engineers didn’t need to toe the line of a fascist state to achieve their dreams”.

Also “take care of your other stuff”. von Braun was a pragmatic dude and would recognize there are numerous things that could go wrong before the first Starship performs TMI. Elon’s “my way or the highway” mentality isn’t good, and SpaceX does not exist in a vacuum (no pun intended).

5 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

I can't help but wonder what von Braun would think of such a scene. More so, what he would think of seeing it operational...

I was thinking about the same but about Bono. This is basically everything he designed but TSTO instead of SSTO

8 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

Elon’s “my way or the highway” mentality isn’t good,

Does he have that internally or externally? 

My impression is that he chafes against regulation and doing stuff 'because that's the way it is done'.  From what I've read, if he says 'we are going to do this with a semi permeable metal foam and electrically charged, laser excited plasma' and one of his newer engineers says, 'hey this other thing works better, is cheaper and faster' then the laser plasma foam is yeeted. 

8 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

Elon’s “my way or the highway” mentality isn’t good, and SpaceX does not exist in a vacuum (no pun intended).

Specific examples, please.

When you hear about how they do things, you hear about individual engineers making decisions, and groups voting. On big picture changes, they will make a case for some change, have a vote, then dump the old way and go with the new way based on that sometimes based on a majority. Has that changed? It certainly might have, I have no idea because I have no statements from anyone newer than that interview with the NASA guy who worked with them on COTS.

7 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Does he have that internally or externally? 

7 hours ago, tater said:

Specific examples, please.

I was not talking about SpaceX's design process. They are very advanced in relation to their goal in that regard and I don't think there have been any internal issues at all. I was more thinking about public relations and "non-engineering" (dealing with regulations, getting land, permits, etc.) stuff.

He may not have that in a "black-and-white" manner ("textbook my way or the highway mentality") but that vibe is sort of there.

3 minutes ago, SunlitZelkova said:

I was not talking about SpaceX's design process. They are very advanced in relation to their goal in that regard and I don't think there have been any internal issues at all. I was more thinking about public relations and "non-engineering" (dealing with regulations, getting land, permits, etc.) stuff.

He may not have that in a "black-and-white" manner ("textbook my way or the highway mentality") but that vibe is sort of there.

So, less "my way or the highway", and more "If you arnt part of the solution, stop being part of the problem."

Guest The Doodling Astronaut
8 hours ago, tater said:

FDeVcZyWYAE6X4X?format=jpg

SN21 looking good.

My doubts on this tile idea are decreasing everyday they might actually make this practically possible.

Crew 2 return moved to probably tomorrow evening due to weather conditions in the recovery area (sure there's a tweet someplace, but this is from a personal communication with someone at MCC).

On the SS front: