SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

7 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:
Just wait til it meets 300kg IXPE:D

…which is getting surprisingly little press considering it’s launching into a 500-km equatorial orbit from the Cape:o

"That doesnt sound too hard. My car can go 500 km between recharging/refueling..." -the public

I wonder…with our current state of tech, what’s the worst-case potential impact event that would be just barely preventable?

Obviously a Ceres-sized dwarf planet screaming toward Earth with mere weeks to impact is not something we can stop, no matter how much Bruce Willis has a weird bromance relationship with Ben Affleck. But also that’s not going to happen, because there is only one Ceres-sized dwarf planet anywhere close to us, and it’s Ceres. The more likely scenario is a city-killer long-period comet that we don’t see until it’s relatively close to the sun.

What’s the longest pole? Deciding whether to use nukes or kinetic impactors? Trying to find a way to get sufficient dV to get an intercept? Getting a large enough impactor into orbit? Choosing between EOR for a large impactors and multiple small impactors? What’s the most challenging challenge that’s still preventable?

1 hour ago, sevenperforce said:

What’s the longest pole? Deciding whether to use nukes or kinetic impactors? Trying to find a way to get sufficient dV to get an intercept? Getting a large enough impactor into orbit? Choosing between EOR for a large impactors and multiple small impactors? What’s the most challenging challenge that’s still preventable?

That will depend entirely upon the availability of a massive generation ship to commandeer as an impactor and/or a brooding, anachronistic film noir detective to go play kissyface with the Protomolecule. -_-

Just to butt in to the DART mission here....

CRS-24.  

That should be an almost guaranteed non scrub, weather aside, with an instant window?  

Also, would that be a barge or pad landing for the booster?   

Asking for a friend myself who might be going down there. 

5 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

Just to butt in to the DART mission here....

CRS-24.  

That should be an almost guaranteed non scrub, weather aside, with an instant window?  

Also, would that be a barge or pad landing for the booster?   

Asking for a friend myself who might be going down there. 

Chance of weather scrubs always remains higher than reasons for any other scrub, so there's that.

But yeah, it's an instant window, albeit with another instant window at a slightly different time the following day. And it will be an ASDS landing for the booster. Dragon 2 (both the crew and the cargo variant) are heavier than Dragon 1 and so they always reserve more performance, necessitating a droneship landing. In fact the last pad landing for Falcon 9 was also the last Dragon 1 launch.

This was only SpaceX's 3rd mission to deep space higher than supersynchronous, after DSCOVR (Earth-sun L1) all the way back in Feb 2015 and Falcon Heavy Demo in Feb 2018.

They're rare!

Edited by RCgothic

4 hours ago, RCgothic said:

This was only SpaceX's 3rd mission to deep space higher than GTO, after DSCOVR (Earth-sun L1) all the way back in Feb 2015 and Falcon Heavy Demo in Feb 2018.

They're rare!

Well TESS was much higher than GTO but still within the Earth-Moon system so I’m not sure if it counts as deep space. 

26 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Well TESS was much higher than GTO but still within the Earth-Moon system so I’m not sure if it counts as deep space. 

Good catch. The launch was into a 200km x 270000km supersynchronous orbit, so that's slightly less than TLI, but indeed higher than GTO.