SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

Good news on S20 from the usual spacex insider!

"S20's test analysis met and slightly exceeded expectations. B4's tests will take some time, and provided no damage is incurred, a decision may be made to fly both or replace one, or the other or both, plus OLM performance, which is extraordinarily complex.

OLM preparation and testing is proving to be time consuming, in addition to the dozens of other tower and fuel supply tasks that need to be completed before putting B4 back on the table. Aspirations are within the next couple of weeks. We'll see if these line items can be closed out by then." (from reddit)

57 minutes ago, Flavio hc16 said:

Problems on the horizon?

I'm not going to make myself unduly concerned about this until we hear more from multiple reliable sources.

Besides, as the article states, Elon has a tendency to exaggerate to get workers to meet deadlines and targets. I don't expect this to be any different.

2 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

I'm not going to make myself unduly concerned about this until we hear more from multiple reliable sources.

Besides, as the article states, Elon has a tendency to exaggerate to get workers to meet deadlines and targets. I don't expect this to be any different.

Agree, now I see two larger problems. First getter the thing to work and second getting regularly issues getting permissions for 2 weekly flight. 
Now in short term they will get raptor supply problems learning how to recover first stage. By the time they routinely recover stage 2, who is required for 2 launches a week they will not consume raptors. 

I predicted an starlink 2 using starship :) 

11 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Elon has a tendency to exaggerate

Here I cut it down for you ;D

I don't believe raptor production issues will have any impact until Starship prototypes can go out and explode every 2 weeks.

Ultimately the raptor production issues could put a dent into plans for LEO operations of Starship, which probably is the main "money-maker" for SpaceX. 

If Starship development is slowed down due to engine production, then Starlink expansion is slowed down, and thus ROI on the whole thing is a bust before doing anything serious beyond LEO. 

I also assume this means no Christmas vacations for SpaceX employees. 

Oh, look, I take my eye off the guy for less than one year and this is what happens!

Anyway, Michail Yushkov of RBC has somehow managed to turn it into a headline about Musk being chased out of business by Russian engines. The business-oriented RBC is the last place I expected to come up with Daily Mail tier garbage, with nary a quotation to explain the headline, but they appear to be patient zero. 

https://www.rbc.ru/technology_and_media/30/11/2021/61a677559a794721944f0020?utm_source=yxnews&utm_medium=mobile

There may be much bile from the usual suspects. Heck, such a ballistic soundbite might even reflect back into the Anglosphere.

11 minutes ago, DDE said:

headline

Yeah - the headline and quote don't match up at all. 

Unfortunately such nonsense isn't 'news' to us here in the West.  We are just often more blatant about it.  I recall an article 30 paragraphs long saying how bad the USMC was (but the 28th and 29th explained that the complaints they aired were uncommon and limited to one or two people's experiences) 

Its somewhat amusing to think about how the engine production issues is being made to be this big of a problem to SpaceX as a whole, when SpaceX itself has their mission statement to be "make life multi planetary" because "stuffs could happen" with Earth.

15 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

What I've seen from news organizations is a bunch of nonsense about how Raptor is too difficult to build properly, when in reality the problem is nothing to do with Raptor -- it is well developed at this point -- but rather manufacturing cadence.

It's interesting to get a feel for how much money SpaceX is pouring into Starship. Starlink is definitely not giving major profits yet. There appears to be a bottleneck for the satellite dishes given that I was supposed to receive mine in late 2021 and now it has been pushed out to mid-2022. Although I'm curious to know whether there are any issues with the performance of the current satellite constellation which are also slowing things down.