SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

2 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

But they need Starship to do that?

30 VelociRaptors per Starship = 30 VelociRaptors per fortnight?

1620 per year? Oh, yeah...

Still sure that Von Braun knew better.

P.S.
About the 1620.
I forgot, since which flight the Starship is going to get reusable?

Notably, BEFORE the two-launches-per-month cadence.

That is, in fact, the entire point.

Making your math rather irrelevant. 

2 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

I thought the long-range plan was in fact to use those oil rigs they bought as launch/landing platforms.

Probably but that platform can not hold the tank farm and the secure space for the ground crew during launch. They will need multiple platforms
Who is not uncommon but they sit on the seafloor, yes you can have floating platforms attached to them but you want distances here. 

I cringe every time I see how close the fuel farm is to the launch and test stands. Have some shrapnel pierce an methane tank and some other set fire to it and you get some interesting firework. 

2 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

You say this, although I know a person who was arrested in Texas (and confined and discharged from the military as a result) because he had a homemade bomb in the trunk of his car that he had intended to take out into some open area and blow up for fun. (This was late 80s.)

Military hate you steal their stuff even if just to have fun with it. Mostly because you can sell it to criminals or terrorists who make them look bad or more likely you blow yourself up who is also a bit bad. Stealing stuff, they don't care much unless it get expensive. 
Much more fun if you are an officer, stuff like launching your old car on the catapult and have the forward AAA engage them in the air did happen. 

But yes stealing TNT or even cordite would get you into problems. 

Edited by magnemoe

3 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Ummm... Have you been to Texas?

(You can blow stuff up there for fun!)

Some of the municipalities can get pretty grumpy about it though.

Unincorporated parts of the sate only get concerned if you start fires or blow up stuff that was not yours.

12 hours ago, magnemoe said:

Military hate you steal their stuff even if just to have fun with it.

As I specified, it was a homemade bomb. What we now call an IED. It was not a military bomb that he had stolen.

This guy (who clearly did not make the best decisions) had called [Snip] on another soldier's claim to be able to build a bomb. So the other guy built it for him to prove he could. The guy I knew (went to high school with) then put it into his car and was going to blow it up in some empty field to see if it actually worked. But he was pulled over for a separate (also stupid) thing, and when the cops asked him what else he had in his car, he admitted "I have a bomb in the trunk".

It didn't help him that he is Hispanic and these were white Texas cops in the 1980s.

Edited by James Kerman
Redacted by a moderator

5 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

As I specified, it was a homemade bomb. What we now call an IED. It was not a military bomb that he had stolen.

This guy (who clearly did not make the best decisions) had called b*llsh*t on another soldier's claim to be able to build a bomb. So the other guy built it for him to prove he could. The guy I knew (went to high school with) then put it into his car and was going to blow it up in some empty field to see if it actually worked. But he was pulled over for a separate (also stupid) thing, and when the cops asked him what else he had in his car, he admitted "I have a bomb in the trunk".

It didn't help him that he is Hispanic and these were white Texas cops in the 1980s.

Ouch.

7 hours ago, magnemoe said:
10 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

I thought the long-range plan was in fact to use those oil rigs they bought as launch/landing platforms.

Probably but that platform can not hold the tank farm and the secure space for the ground crew during launch. They will need multiple platforms

But what about the ocean rising and the future storms and hurricanes?..
Are they aware of global warming? Is it a wise usage of money to buy what's doomed to sink?

30 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

But what about the ocean rising and the future storms and hurricanes?..
Are they aware of global warming? Is it a wise usage of money to buy what's doomed to sink?

...you know that there are a few thousand oil platforms around the world right? You better tell them all that they are doomed

Storms and hurricanes will be faced the same way any spaceport deals with storms and hurricanes? I don't really understand what you're getting at, it's not like they are only in the sea

44 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Now I am going to have nightmares.

Spoiler

it2-pennywise.gif

boo

prolly shouldn’t use the hand wave gif…

22 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

They are all doomed. In something like 4 billion years the sun is going to become a red giant.

nah, they’ll have cryogenic stuff on board, so they’ve got really good air conditioners. They good. -_-

11 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

They are all doomed. In something like 4 billion years the sun is going to become a red giant.

10 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

nah, they’ll have cryogenic stuff on board, so they’ve got really good air conditioners. They good.

I plan to evolve into 'Q' by that time.  Red Giant should be like a nice puffy bath of warm air, right?